Sunday 7 September 2008

Max, the Iron Horse and the Hydra

The rain held off long enough today for a hack, so after a bit of warming up in the indoor school, off we went, with the Ent taking the lead on foot.

Max is back in his Tom Thumb bit, for the moment. Just trying a change because YO commented that Max was fighting his Pee Wee bit during his last lunging session. I think the problem is that YO has adjusted the Pee Wee to sit too high in Max's mouth. She said he was trying to get his tongue over it, and that's my clue. He's never done that before, and his trying it indicates to me that he was finding it uncomfortable.

Have tried to explain this once before, but got a look of incomprehension and, "But look at these cheekstraps! Too lose! The bit's not doing anything!"

Thought it wise to swap bits over before tomorrow's lunging session, and also to see how Max went in his Tom Thumb anyway, since he hasn't used it in a while. He did quite like it when we first started using it.

Was doing a bit of reading up on the Tom Thumb last night because I've heard so much noise about it being one of the harsher bits around. There's the old standby, of course, that a bit is only ever as harsh as the hands holding it, but I was still concerned enough to do some research, seeing as he was about to be lunged in one.

As it turns out, there are two version of the Tom Thumb: The US one, used in Western style riding, mostly for neck reining and yes, it is quite harsh; The UK one, with copper rollers in the middle and sweet iron main body, jointed in the centre, known to be quite mild. Max has the UK version, also sometimes known as a Tom Thumb Scrubs.

He went well in it today, and once he got working, was salivating nicely and playing with the copper rollers, but I freely admit that he feels better in the Pee Wee, and I think I'll continue to use that one for riding. I'll see how YO gets on with the Tom Thumb tomorrow, try explaining again that the Pee Wee is designed to sit low and also that it has another position she could try for lunging, or see if she wants something else all together, as long as it's not an outrageously expensive Myler, or any kind of snaffle (Max HATES the nutcracker action on snaffles), then I may just buy him a bit specifically for his YO sessions, while he and I carry on with the Pee Wee.

We stuck mainly to the lane today, because the tracks are all so muddy and slippery. Max was a bit sluggish, not stepping smartly, but going from fairly decent walk to jog and back. Don't really want a pony that jogs along, so we'll have to work on that. We diverted into the fields to get off the road, and the feel of soft earth under his feet pushed Max's buttons and he started getting a little prancey and difficult to hold.

It's hard to explain what I can feel when Max does this - it's like he becomes a different horse underneath me. He kind of rises up, it almost feels like he slims down, too, although I know that can't be true. I can feel every bit of excitement in him, every tremor in the hindquarters, every prickle of electricity in his neck. It used to scare me because he feels a bit wild and ready to bolt. It doesn't scare me any more because I trust Max and we've done enough work together to know he'll listen to me... that and I know he's still Max. He might bolt, sure, but he'll stop when he gets tired!

I concentrated on pressure with seat and hands to contain him and instant release when he made the slightest positive response. As a result, on a windy day in a muddy field atop a hill, when it looked like we weren't doing much at all, Max and I seem to have climbed up a rung in the ladder of understanding each other.

"Oh, I see!" said Max. "Now that's a very clear signal. Yes, of course I can slow down."

I got clear, Max got responsive, I immediately eased, Max got comfortable, so more responsive, so I didn't have to ask so often.

That is when a string of classic cars came along the lane next to us, with a proud "look at us" beep from the lead car. There must have been a rally somewhere they were all off to.

When I say "classic", I mean "jalopy", and when I say "beep" I mean "Aoooga"! Headlamps out on stalks, spoked wheels and running boards. Beautiful, old, brightly coloured cars, chugging along the lane in front of Max's astonished eyes.

He knows about tractors, combine harvesters, lorries and the familiar modern day car, but had never seen anything like this. He danced prettily after them, head tucked in towards his chest, snorting and shaking his head in amazement, while I tried to hold him steady but give him his freedom to explore at the same time (it's a fine balance!).

We caught them up and stopped to watch the parade go by.

"They're just cars, Max. That's what cars looked like when horses had to step aside and motors took over the roads."

"I prefer the fields anyway" Max snorted, ears pricked as he watched.

The Ent caught us up, and we returned to the lane, where our next challenge was a monster of many heads and countless legs clad in multi-coloured gore-tex.

"Yikes!" Max exclaimed, as he scrambled towards them at an angle. "What vile creature is this? A dragon? A horse eating demon?"

"Ramblers, Max. Not one creature, just lots of people in a bunch. Walking."

"Oh. How disappointing. Shall I show them how splendid I am anyway?"

"I think so, yes."

We sidled past them, Max trying to look fiery and imposing. He struggled, but was admired anyway, for his colouring, highlights and kind eyes.

Then the final trot home, relaxed and just Max again; no fiery steed, just my cheeky pony.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?