Friday 20 March 2009

The company of Other Horses

Spring was ushered in rather brilliantly today. The weather is fine, I've got a week off from the office job, so after today's early shift at the yard and a few errands run, I was able to take up an invite to hack out with three friends from the yard.

Doesn't come up much for me because I keep such different hours than everyone else, and Max and I have become fairly accustomed to hacking out alone. But what fun we had!

Three big horses for Max to keep up with on his wee pony legs, three kind women who already feel great affection for my cheeky pony and remarked with delight at how happy Max looked as he jogged along, a cheery soul, with three tolerant horses that allowed him to mix in, overtake, and learn about personal space.

I can't even remember the last time we went out in company - must be over a year ago!

Max is becoming a stalwart steed on the lone hacks, but it was wonderful to feel him relax in the company of other horses. No need to be quite so much on the alert - horses will always be happier in a herd, I guess.

He tried hard to maintain his spot as second in a group of four, and occasionally tried to take the lead, though he's never sure what to do with it once he gets there.

He had a few stumbles, was a little inattentive at times, and found the ground hard going now and again, but basically it was a great outing. Not so much concentration on schooling or getting everything right, it was about having fun with my boy in the best possible circumstances. A bit of chat, a bit of cantering up hills, and not once did my boy try a sneaky graze.

At one point, as we stopped to look out over the Downs, one of my companions sighed and said, "This is what it's all about. Just this."

Absolutely right. Cue Lou Reed singing, "It's such a perfect day, I'm glad I spent it with you..."

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?