Thursday 22 July 2010

Max the Bold

Two mouthed abominations, rogue Tesco bags and snaky looking branches across the path ahead aside, when it comes to proper drama and a “real” threat, Max is brave and he listens.

We had a lovely hackette yesterday morning, early so before the flies were too bad and before it got hot. Not early enough though, to avoid meeting some friends on their way back to the yard at the top of our first hill. Max was keen to stay with Gin and Monty but after a quick chat off they went and off we went – admittedly it took a bit of convincing that yes, I really did want to go in the opposite direction, but Max metaphorically shrugged his shoulders and gave in without any real fuss.

Nothing of note really; beautiful day, Maxo-Relaxo of the swinging belly and swivelling, listening ears.

On the way home, we were heading up a gentle slope and the ground was not so hard, so we had a little trot, then a teensy canter and then I regretfully slowed Max down because we were reaching a crossing of bridleways with obstructed vision, so I didn’t want us to bound into anybody.

As we reached the spot, suddenly Max flattened and shot forward several steps. Two things happened then in the slow/quick time where everything goes so fast, but you still have time to think and see in slow motion.

1. I didn’t think I was going to be able stop him because he was obviously proper freaked out.

2. I glanced behind to see what had caused our invisible trouble and saw an unleashed spaniel jumping up at Max’s hinds.

The next thing that happened was Max stopped, responding to my auto-pilot “Steady”. We turned to look.

“Just a dog, Max,” I said.

“A stupid, rude, hoof to the head dog if he comes any closer. SHOO!”

The dog scampered off, no owner in sight, Max and I carried on home, and Max wasn’t coiled for more spooking, but went right back to relaxed and willing..

I’m really proud of him. He had every reason to get his freak on this time, but he didn’t.

Another Good Day!

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?