Tuesday 12 October 2010

Max in the hands of another

My friend the Baker borrowed Max to hack out with her daughter because her own boy is wearing a poultice and can't be ridden. Very handy for a Saturday, as I can't do anything with Max myself. He's carrying a little more weight than I would like right now due to the recent flush of new grass, so I was very pleased to offer him up; to be honest, it was doing me a favour.

So it was that Max went out on a big adventure without me, all over the countryside.

He was so confused through the tacking up, and when the Baker tried to lead him out he just stuck his big head into me. I told him it would be OK, and he knows auntie well as she works on the yard too. Then blow me down, once we got stirrup lengths settled, he was off all sprightly following the Baker's daughter and her trusty steed (a former field mate of Max's too, so they know each other well).

He didn't put a foot wrong.

Both riders were full of smiles when they got back and gushing about how enthusiastic Max is about everything. This is very true. He's like that character off The Fast Show that thinks everything is BRILLIANT!

But I really only get that from him when he has another horse with him. He relaxes and enjoys, then, has a good look around with a sense of wonder and an equal sense of fun. He's better on his own now than he used to be, but rarely just lets go and enjoys, and some days is actively prepared to be spooked and never really settle.

What the Baker said afterwards was gratifying too: "Blimey, he's SO strong. I haven't ridden a horse this strong in years!" She figured she'd be aching the next day from it, and she's not a hard handy rider. Yeah, tell me about it. Holding Max together and back is no easy task. He looks like a ploddy pony, but there is nothing ploddy about him. Nor much pony about him either - he feels like a horse when you ride him.

The Baker complimented his sitting trot ("You could just sit that for hours, it's so comfy"), said his canter was lovely and smooth(this I already know) and that when you're riding him, you can definitely feel he's half Arab because he's got some fizz to him. Tell me about it!

I'm so glad they had a good time and he behaved. Would love it if I could occasionally get out with someone else, but it just doesn't work with my schedule.

He came back in a total sweat and needed to be hosed down. Unsurprising because he's so furry in his winter coat and the weather is still so mild.

So a good experience for Max to have a different rider, a fortunate replacement for the Baker, and a wonderful help to me, to have Max exercised for free, by a friend who's riding I trust, and who's care for Max is second only to my own.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?