Monday 18 January 2010

Recovery re-think

Things have been quite for us, due to weather and injury. Max has been lingering in his box and field, unmolested by any ideas of work due to "acute back strain" for me, and powerful anti-inflammatories and pain killers. Partly I've been in a daze, and partly, I'm cautious about handling any big crazy from Max when I'm physically vulnerable.

No yard work for about two weeks now, and no work for Max other than cursory grooming, checks for his well-being, and a bit of clicker training in his box to make sure he hasn't forgotten recent lessons.

We had an interesting day yesterday. Lots to think about. I asked the Ent to come and help me out, with a proper groom and a bit of in-hand work in the school with Ent in charge and me directing from the sidelines.

When we set out, after Ent did a stellar job of grooming dusty Max including picking out feet, we found the school occupied. I wasn't sure what to do, as we only had Max in his head collar, but Ent suggested a walk in hand to pass the time and see how Max reacted. I would not have attempted it on my own, but I had the mint lick in hand and a long rope, so agreed. The thing about the Ent is that he is so calm and quietly determined, I knew Max and I were in safe hands, so relaxed and felt happy to tackle the great outdoors.

Hmm... it was OK. We didn't go that far, just up to the pigs in the farm yard and back. Max only had one real spook, easily dealt with, but I had plenty of time to watch his face and watch how he moved. Something is definitely going on, but I think it's more mental than physical. He properly plodded, even on the way home (a bit telling; he usually perks up and strides out on the way home), but he was moving quite well from what I could see. There may be a little stiffness in his hinds but nothing extraordinary.

It's his eyes that get me. There's something in his facial expression that I don't like and I can't quite work out. He didn't look relaxed. Not sure that's even it - he just didn't seem very Max-like.

I am forced to slow down now, because of my back, and Max and as a result, Max and I are forced to limit ourselves to ground work. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

We got back from our walk to the now empty school. Max showed no hesitation about going in there. What he did was snatch grazing with the Ent in charge, and that narked me. He doesn't try it on with me at all, but despite my "No! Don't let him! Max! No Sir! You know better!" he still managed to get his head down and have a munch. He is such an opportunist I have to admire him. Max is very canny about what he can get away with when the Ent is in control - saw his chance and went for it!

Once in the school, Max showed that again, loud and proud. He was an absolute star for me, backing up and turning through that "L" set up with poles, and away from it too, at liberty. For the Ent? Not so much, even with the head collar on for added emphasis. I'd try to walk away and let them work it out together, but Max just ignored the Ent followed me instead.

I made a point of letting Max see me pass the mint lick to the Ent and then let them try again. A bit more success, but not much. It is partly because Ent's timing is off, partly because he is not authoritative enough in his direction, and partly too, I think, that he hasn't been involved for a while, so Max just doesn't take so much note of him any more.

There was a time when the Ent could work Max on his own, and they were brilliant together in the Dually - better than Max and I were, but that needs to be built up again.

Man, do I understand the frustration of being ignored by Max! Been there, many a time! We can work on re-establishing the chain of command in no time. I'm not worried about that at at, and at the heart of it, I know the Ent's way with Max is often better than mine. He doesn't ever get impatient with him, he is always kind and always relaxed. I have to work at that stuff, to the Ent, it comes naturally, it is innate. The Ent is a Horse Whisperer waiting to happen.

It did make me question, though, how much of Max's focus on me is strictly food related, and that has given me pause for thought, too. Maybe I'm not clear enough on my cues, and maybe I relent too easily and give him too much positive affirmation so confuse the issue.

Whether that is the case or not, creative thinking will get us out of this and creative thinking and loose groundwork is all that we can have on the cards for the next little while anyway.

Yes, a blessing in disguise. We regroup and reconsider, and find our way forward, gently and with patience.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?