Wednesday 27 January 2010

Communication, communication, communication!

Clever Max is helping me to hone my skills on making myself clear again. Well... saying that, he hasn't yet helped me on how to be more clear, but he has made me aware of where I need a bit more clarity.

I took him into the school this morning with his Dually and one very long line to see how we got on. I had intended to set up an "L" with poles, but didn't as we don't need the boundaries of the "L" anymore for Max to do his fancy footwork.

We started off as we always do, with me releasing Max and letting him do what he fancies. I want each unridden session in the school to start off completely calm, making it a pleasant place for Max with a relaxed atmosphere before we get down to work. I'm always especially happy if he uses this time to have a roll, which he did today.

After that, it was tail picking time. I have previously been charmed by Max's taking my tail picking as a cue to take himself out for a walk around the school track, but I've changed my mind about that and am now using this time for more schooling.

Having done some reading up on the importance of establishing the partnership and respect, it is theorised that being able to move a horse's feet, getting the horse to move where and which way you ask, is a good way of drawing the line in the sand about who is leader. By letting a horse move you around, or forcing you to move round him, you are declaring yourself subservient.

Going on from that, I considered that Max leading me round while I picked out his tail might be sending him the wrong message. Most horses are very happy to give up the big decisions about health and safety up to another; a stallion, a lead mare, a trusted human. But if the lines are constantly blurred about who is ultimately responsible, then possibly that can add confusion. Taking control of the feet is a way of firmly establishing that hierarchy. There's no need to be brash or pushy about it, it can all be done very gently and kindly.

So now, we're using tail picking as a "stand" exercise. No wandering off, but standing still while I do what I have to do. Max is catching on!

We set out the sideways pole again and had a few attempts sidling along it in both directions. Oh yes, he's picking this one up very quickly now! We were able to move well beyond the pole and get the same sideways action, then a bit of "over", then a bit of "back".

High praise from me and intent focus from Max. Whenever his attention wandered (there was a tractor outside the school, some dogs barking, some children cavorting) a gentle wiggle of the lead rope with "Focus" said calmly as a back up brought him back to me. Distracted attention is no longer humoured, but it certainly isn't punished either. It is... frowned upon.

Thus went the lesson for Max. Then came the lesson for me.

Having done brilliantly revisiting his newly learned manoeuvres, I decided to try and get Max out on the equivalent of a lunge circle, no whip, no fuss, just for a circle or two on each rein to re-introduce the idea that lungeing is not a Wholly Bad Thing for Max.

Since I had no whip to flick, I used the excess rope end, twirling it and saying "Walk on now, Max, there's a good laddie."

I did not get walk on. I got "over" with his hindquarters.

I asked again, I got "over" again.

I was momentarily perplexed, but luckily, only momentarily before I realised exactly what was going on. I looked at Max, now facing me, his big eyes, his pricked ears poised for the next directive.

So here I was, quite a distance from him, twirling the rope the way I do when I ask for "over" or "side" up close and personal, and now, he was taking in the movement and body language, and answering them at a distance.

No, it wasn't what I wanted, but goodness me, no surprise that that is what he offered. As I realised what he was doing, I was also struck by how clever he was to make the connection of the twirling rope and what behaviour that has most recently been associated with . He wasn't doing anything wrong at all, nor was he being stubborn. He was watching me, properly observing my body language, and giving me exactly what he thought I was asking for.

That's amazing!

Max is not at fault for misinterpretation; I am at fault for miscommunication. I will find a way round it, but for today, I played it down, gave him a pat and a scritch for a good effort, and got him on the long lines instead,to make a more obvious break away from what we had been doing, and what we were doing now.

The boy is keeping me on my toes! We went a bit wrong today, and I am delighted! What a wonderful way to find out just how much Max is paying attention.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?