Thursday 4 March 2010

A strong foundation

It has been a long cold winter for the UK, and the same for Max and me. The going has been treacherous and we have kept our work to the school. That was not just down to the weather though, but down to our episodic "Arab Mist" and my determination to get to the bottom of it.

We have been making progress, but today just how much progress was delightfully displayed.

Max and I went to the indoor school to continue our ground work. We've been doing this for ages, short and sharp sessions, setting Max up for win/win to get his confidence up and make it fun, all to try to get to the bottom of his crazies.

We've been doing this since early December, and have changed the school from somewhere he was really reluctant to enter, to somewhere he strides into full of confidence.

But today, armed with scary whip (re-introduced for lunging) and dressage stick (for in hand and "up, up, up!" front feet work), and bridle, and long line (we do mix it up a bit in our school time) we were met with calamity.

Heard it as soon as we got to the school door. Scrambling shod hooves on the lane as rider on hack had horse go mental...

Then the field overlooking the school, a mare hooning back and forth, bucking and giving it some wellie... (was beautiful to watch and would have appreciated more if I hadn't been fixed on Max's state of affairs)

Then in the field across the lane, in our line of vision, two horses, proper madness; squealing, galloping, rearing, bucking, snorting, cavorting like the very devil was after them.

Not to mention the high wind. Which was no doubt a factor in all the madness.

Oh Max went on high alert all right, grew tall and he got his Arab Mist riff going on. Me, I felt a bit of tension rise as I watched the hacker hurry back to the yard, barely under control and wondered if Max was going to go loopy on me, assessing the risk and working out how best to get him and myself to safety. Meanwhile Max continued to watch it all with big eyes and all aquiver.

"Oi," I said, forcing my voice calm and body relaxed. "Look at me. Hey!" I moved myself front and centre in his vision and jangled his line.

And he focused. Looked at me, listened to me, got in the school politely, waited until I closed the door and then got stuck right in to in-hand stuff like there was nothing else going on.

He was still aware of hell's a poppin' outside that door, no question, but he paid attention to me instead and did every little thing I asked of him.

The thing is, all this time, going back to basics and making it fun hasn't just done Max the world of good. By setting him up for win/win, I've set myself up for it too. The result is a more confident partnership, and more playful vibe and a much improved line of communication.

We're getting there.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?