Tuesday 24 August 2010

Poor Max is unemployed!

Was talking to YO yesterday, can’t even remember about what, and she said, categorically and not for the first time “A horse is not a pet. Horses are far too expensive to be pets. A horse needs a job, and if they don’t have one, then there is no use for them.”

Did I protest? No, because there’s no point challenging her on this stuff.

One, I don’t understand how she can be so firm and unrelenting with her opinions on just about everything. How do you learn stuff if you never listen to another point of view? And even with all her experience and knowledge – which granted, is a lot and I do rate a lot of it very highly indeed – just because I don’t have the same experience and knowledge doesn’t mean she can’t learn something even from lowly me. We can learn stuff from anybody and everybody, sometimes in unexpected and marvellous ways. It pays huge dividends to be open to that.

Two, why can’t Max be a pet? Surely it’s my call on the expense, and if he’s healthy and happy, then who is it hurting?

Of course Max is a pet! He’s got no job other than being a happy horse and being with me.

YO has been away for two weeks on hols and it has been bliss because Max and I have just been doing lots of “play” at liberty work. We’re not very good at it, but I love it best of all, him buck nekkid and so eager and attentive. He does like to stick really close to me though, which can get a bit much with the flailing hooves of canter. I’m going to get better at this though, because we both enjoy it so much.

So since he’s unemployed and all, do you think I could send him off to Winchester to apply for Job Seeker’s allowance? The extra dosh would come in handy… Except he would probably offer to take his pay in polos and carrots.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?