Tuesday 19 February 2008

And... relax!

Crazy day for me at the office, and all the while conscious that I had to get back to the yard to work with Max. Heck, work with him. I just wanted to see him! I felt under pressure as I raced home, having left the office late, ran into the house, got changed, leaving my work clothes in an untidy heap, and back out the door to drive to the yard.

Arrived, feeling like I was full of adrenaline, walked quickly to Max’s box and saw his bum, his head turned away from me, nibbling at straw. Glanced down to see his water buckets filled with wet hay (why does he do that?) and no hay left to eat.

Max clocked I was there before I'd said anything, and turned to give me a welcoming nicker. The stress I’d been feeling just drained out of me. I felt the smile begin to form, I felt the warm feeling enter my heart, and I said, “Hello mate. How's it goin'?"

He came over and offered his nose for our old traditional greeting, not the kiss, but blowing gently into his nostrils.

Head collar on, out into the sun, and he grumped about having the usual fuss, but before he had time to get too bent out of shape about it, we were in the school, walking smartly, working on transitions, racing for carrots and basically having a bit of play time together. It is schooling of sorts, but I like at least one day a week to be mostly just trying stuff and being relaxed about it. He’s got the things he’s really good at, the things he’s not sure about yet, so we don’t push too hard, and the things he just likes to do with me for a laugh.

Cheeky boy though! We were in mid carrot race, having done two lengths of the school, and on the third, he gamely came after me and I looked back over my shoulder as he was snaking his head following me in a determined trot. I picked up speed and ran to the end of the school, and then turned sharply to see how far behind me he was.

Pretty far behind me, as it happens, and in mid roll! Little imp took his chance while I wasn’t looking.

“Yeah, right behind you. I’m giving you a head start, OK, just keep running. Go on… That's it... Ha! Psyche!”

He took his time, got up and had a shake and a snort, and then swaggered across the school to me, looking for his carrot.

“I don’t think so,” I grinned. “On your, mark… get set…”

“GO! Run, bi-ped! How you get anywhere on just two legs, eh?”

And we were off again. Added some twists and turns, tried to fake him out, and still, with the excitement of the chase, he was careful to stop a good distance from me, and then stretch his pretty head forward for his carrot bite.

He’s a good boy really, and an the best stress buster I could hope for.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?