Wednesday 20 February 2008

Magic Moment

A rushed day today, with four hours yard work, then off to the office, no time for anything more than a lick and a promise for Max.

I was almost done, almost ready to go, and I noticed that Max was not eating his hay, preferring the straw in his bed, so I went into his box, swapped out the unacceptable hay, and brought him another batch, of which he approved.

While providing the taste test, I noticed he could do with skipping out, so I picked up a bucket and went to it. First put the hay down for impatient boy, then crouched in the straw to tidy up Max mess.

I didn’t even notice that I heard no chewing, and I usually listen out for it because it’s such a soothing sound. What I did hear was Max moving towards me.

He stopped and lowered his head next to mine, then gently laid his muzzle against my cheek and puffed warm little breaths into my ear. He asked for nothing.

Much as I wanted to stay in that moment, and I did stay as long as I could, reluctantly I had to get up and get moving. His head came up with mine, he gave me one big eyed blink, and then turned back to his hay and started eating.

You want truth and beauty? It’s there, frozen and shimmering in moments like that.

2 comments:

Victoria Cummings said...

These are the moments that tell me all is right in the world. Max and you are lucky to have each other. I've just started clicker training my little horse, Siete, so I came by to check out what you are doing. Lovely.

maczona said...

Thanks for that, Victoria! Have you been on the Enlightened Equitation forums? There's a section there on clicker training that can be helpful. I still misfire on the timing occasionally, but Max and I are both getting better at it! Good luck to you and Siete.

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?