Tuesday 28 July 2009

Attitude + Speed = Wahey!

Well, the boy can sure shift himself around the school, and no mistake.

We had a weekend of attempting to lunge and long-line, with the Ent as my able helper.

Tried the long field again, and Max lined around the field with The Ent in control. Ent called it "ploughing the field" which was a good description. Back and forth, turn, up the hill, turn, down the hill in straight lines and so on. Max was attentive, co-operative and pretty much foot perfect.

Then it came to bringing him in on a circle and Max turned our quaint English field into a wild west rodeo. He was a proper bronco, leaping into the air and then kicking out with his hinds, head down. I'd never seen him do anything like it before, and as I watched, I wondered if he was in pain somewhere and this was how he was showing me.

My gut said "no" though. I check him regularly for swelling, heat, unsoundness. I didn't think it was pain, but both the Ent and I were baffled at such a display of capricious rebellion. I also wondered if Max was objecting to pressure, but I could see the Ent's hands were soft, and considering how contrary he has been with me the past few days, when I know my hands are soft, I discounted that, also.

We took him into the indoor school and had a good session in there to finish off, the Ent holding the line, and me chasing after Max with voice commands and directional aids.

The next day, we tried again in the jumping paddock, which has no slope. I started off with lining, and then on the lunge on the left rein; Max was heedful and polite. The Ent joined us, did some more lining and then lunged on the right rein, and again, no bother. We then lined him up the lane a bit, with me in the lead, and apart for Max grabbing an opportunity to nap or eat under the less experienced eye of the Ent on the lines, we had a fairly trouble free time of it.

Not dissing the Ent here. Max and I work together a lot. I can anticipate what he's going to do well before he does it, and can position myself to thwart him. Took me ages of watchfulness to be able to do that, though. Was always baffled by other horse people who could spot things quickly when watching their horse, or watchin a rider, but now, finally, I can do it, too. It's just exposure and determination, I guess.

Explained to the Ent that you always have to be a few seconds ahead of Max, watch him, take in what's ahead, and anticipate his reaction. Be on his reaction before he's reacted is what it boils down to.

Having an eye for that really does take time and practice. Not surprising that the Ent didn't catch every nuance, and also not surprising that Max saw when he was in with a chance and thought, "Game on!"

I could just about hear Max saying, "D'oh! I'm in dutch with the lady!" when I stepped in and put him right.

"Are you taking the p***, Mr Max?"

"La! It's a good game, mum!"

"Yes, but the Ent is always kind to you, isn't he? So be kind and behave yourself."

"But... ok, then."

Today it was back to the school for Max and me - safest place for us at the moment with Max all wayward and me handicapped by my back.

I walked him in with his headcollar and took the lunge whip, bridle and a line with me.

Once in the school I removed the head collar and was preparing for the change over. Max stood like a sleepy donkey, I gave the "Stand" command, and turned my back on him to hang up his head collar. Turned back to see him pawing the ground and bending his knees, preparing to roll.

"No rolling, Max!" I barked.

Down he continued to go.

"I said NO! We're working, young man!" I flicked the whip in his general direction, Max heaved himself back to stand and with a snort of surprise and then took off at speed away from me.

"Huh..." I thought. "Doesn't look like he's in pain at all, does it?"

I walked into the centre of the school with the long whip, and decided to take advantage of his energy. I encouraged him on with a flick, and then praised when he put himself onto the track and continued to hoon around like the clappers.

He came to a sliding stop next to me, and blinked, with his happy Max eyes. Full of mischief, but no malice.

"Get on, then, my boy!" I encouraged, and gave a little snap of the whip in the air.

He bounded off again, and when I clucked him on, he flattened out and went full pelt down the long end of the school.

I moved to meet him, raised my hand and he turned, and charged off in the other direction. At the far end of the school, when he thought he was out of my reach, he pawed and buckled his knees again for a roll.

"Ah! I'll just have a nice scratch... what the...?"

Hadn't expected me to run up had he?

"No sir! Up! Up! We're working!"

Max heaved himself up again and took off at speed, and I followed at a slower pace, voice calm, encouraging him on.

What a beautiful sight! What a reassuring sight, too. Unfettered, Max moved at tremendous speed, mane flowing, perfect balance, head proud, eye on me and relaxed.

He continued on like that for some time, changing directions on cue, like poetry in motion. More luck than judgment, I feel, but it inspired me to get a lot better at loose schooling because this was such a joy to watch, and seemed such a joy for Max too.

The very fact that he was paying attention to me at all when he clearly didn't have to was very encouraging and reminded me that we're a partnership and he is willing and does try for me when he has an inkling of understanding what I'm asking of him.

He came to another sliding stop in front of me, nostrils flaring with the exertion.

We did a little clicker training then to calm things down a little, and then he hung his head like a gent while I put the bridle on and we got down to some work on the lunge.

I cut the lunge session short because it's boring for Max, and he'd been so spectacular and so polite in his power and grace, that I didn't want to push us into a bad "no fun" place.

We worked on voice transitions, up from stand, walk, trot to canter, and back down again, on both reins. He was an absolute star.

A little clicker to finish off, a jackpot including maple sugar treat, and then straight out to his field.

I do so love watching him from the ground, so in a way, this bad back of mine is a blessing in disguise. I never need a reason to do groundwork with Max, but I do sometimes feel under pressure to ride when I'd just as soon be on the ground. Horses are for riding, doncha know?

My inability to ride just now takes that pressure off and allows me to venture down new paths with Max, as we did today.

I admit, it wasn't totally in control, but it wasn't totally out of control either, and we definitely have something to build on here.

Max and me having fun together and not doing boring ol' schooling stuff. But hey, presto, it still is schooling stuff for both of us, just wrapped up in a pleasing package!

You just never know where you're going to find inspiration, and today, Max and I found it in the dusty ol' school as we larked about like the friends we are.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?