Wednesday 15 July 2009

Step back

It does no good to become so wrapped up and enthusiastic about taking great leaps forward that you forget that such advances usually still include some retreats as well.

I was reminded last week by a friend, that the steps back that Max and I were taking in our education were much fewer and farther between, but he had a surprise backslide yesterday.

Maybe it was the wind, maybe it was the approaching storm -- not just excuses, real possibilities, our equine friends are a lot more sensitive than we are -- but could I get Max up the lane just moments after leaving the yard? No I bloomin' well couldn't.

Do we go up this same lane every time we leave the yard, in hand, me in saddle, lone hacks, group hacks, with Ent on bike, with Ent on foot... every time, do we go up that lane? Yep, we surely do.

Has it changed? Nope, same old lane far as I can see.

Could I convince Max?

"I shall, I shall not be moved! I shall, I shall not be MOOOOVED!"

"Get on!"

"Help! Help! I'm being oppressed."

Cars passing, slowing, giving us room, Max spinning round to try and head for home, me barely staying on as back gives out.

"For Heaven's Sake, Max! Get up the %£%**&^lane you pillock!"

"Fear! Fire! Foe! I won't go!"

Eventually I had to dismount because I couldn't take the pain any more, and Max was just getting more frenzied in his attempts to retreat. I took him forward in hand though, also with insistence, but even with me on the ground he wasn't happy.

Up to the farmhouse and back, baffled by his stubborn refusal, we turned and even on the way home he was obviously unhappy about something, all prancey, uptight and wary.

We went into the indoor school to trying riding in there, but I only made two circuits round before I had to get off, trying not to squeal with the pain I felt in my back in trot.

So we had another lunge session instead, which didn't thrill me because we'd only just cracked that one and I would have preferred to move on to something else and come back to it later rather than rinse and repeat. However, must needs and all that.

Max was OK. Not brilliant, but not a total backslide either. Just something not right about yesterday, and who knows what, but I hope it was just a blip on the chart.

Hey, we all have bad days, so why shouldn't horses have them, too?

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?