Friday 24 July 2009

Fjord X Arab X a teensy bit of Canadian, eh?

I'm not sure if it happened by osmosis, but Max has a little bit of Canadian in him, and by that I don't mean he's taken a chunk out of me.

A colleague at my office job had a Canadian student living with her for a little while, and presented me earlier this week with maple sugar shaped in little maple leaves. Better yet, the address on the box was RR No. 2 in Powassan, Ontario, so I know precisely where these sweeties came from and can picture the area in my mind's eye.

Six little maple leaf treasures.I told her they would last me a year - they are so sweet and mapley that I can only eat a little bit at a time. I don't think I'll get the chance for even a nibble now, though.

Today, as they were in my car, I snapped off a corner and offered it to Max, to see what he thought. It's always fun to watch Max taste something new. I was expecting him to appreciate the sweetness, if nothing else.

He went mad for it! One little taste, big eyes, nodding head to show his approval, and immediately looking for more. More was not forthcoming, and he started nudging me, on the arm, on the shoulder, even in the belly, looking hopeful and just a little desperate.

Now, this kind of behaviour is not acceptable and I told him so, but was amazed by how persistent he was.

"More! More I say! What is this delicious stuff and why haven't I had it before?"

It took a while to settle him down and get him to concentrate.

I am still troubled by my back and Max has had this week off because I'm just too fragile to deal with his rambunctious behaviour. I can't ride because it hurts, but even long lining and lunging are difficult at the moment, especially if Max decides to give me some attitude. He has clocked that he can easily evade me now, and I don't really want him getting into that habit so erring on the side of caution, I don't give him the opportunity.

Instead, we've gone back to clicker training. It's a creative way to get his mind back on me and the release of a pony nut rather than the hooligan behaviour he can get up to. It's been going well and Max is concentrating again, adding a few new "tricks" to his bag.

They are never just "tricks" of course, there's always a reason for what I train him to do with the clicker that can be moved on to other in hand and ridden work, but they do start off as simple little moves that we can build on later.

There are a few sniffy comments on the yard that Max "should be a circus pony". There are also a few delighted comments about what Max will do with a hand signal from me or a word, so that redresses the balance.

Case in point, Max had his six monthly chiro appointment this past Tuesday, and chiropracter's hip was playing up while she was working. She was standing next to Max, and raised her leg up and moved it out in rotation from the hip to loosen it. Max watched, his head bowed towards her, then lifted his leg and hovered it, too!

She was surprised and delighted and I explained why he was doing it, and she asked, "Will he do the other one?" and tried lifting her other leg, and of course Max followed her and mirrored her movement. Clever boy!

Just goes to show how observant and attentive horses are!

It was more clicker training today for Mr Max, and to his delight, when we had done about 20 minutes of concentrated work, it was time to close the session and give him his jackpot, which today was the remainder of the pony nuts, about a handful, and in the middle of it, the rest of his maple leaf sugar candy.

Same reaction, same delight, same hopeful sniffing and nudging. He only has five more goes with the maple sugar and then we shall have none.

Nice to know a little bit of the Great White North has rubbed off on a Hampshire pony. I'll have to keep an eye on him or come winter, he'll be practicing slapshots in his field, with field mate set up as goalie.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?