Thursday 31 December 2009

A Max in the hand helps Max in the bush

Mr Max and I are OK. We couldn't get in the school straight away today, so we did a bit of in hand on the yard by the muck heap, which I thought was probably a good idea anyway, if he has a problem with the school. Just mix things up a bit.

But then the school became free and in we went. I left him go free and he took himself off to the far side of the school away from the door.

He did spend some time looking confused and distracted. I used his headcollar rope at first, getting him to touch it, moving it over his back and hinds and giving him clicks. He was tense, but stayed still at least and didn't flinch.

Then we did a bit with moving quarters, and his mood and focus improved as he got more and more praise, and finished with a bit of backing up. Really short and sweet and he was looking pretty relaxed by the time we left.

Just the way I like him!

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?