Saturday 11 September 2010

And I will sing a lullabye...

I love Saturday mornings, around 9.00 when all the out at night horses are in and settled, have eaten their breakfasts, and most are curled up like pussy cats in their deep straw beds, having a snooze.

This is when I creep in on Max and have a sit down with him.

Today I found him lying down, but head up, awake and somewhat alert, but definitely set for a trip to the land of nod.

So I sat down in the straw next to and him he nudged me for treats.

After a half piece of liquorice, delicately received, I started to sing his lullaby, which is "Kookaburra".

I'd only got to the second line, and he dropped his nose onto my knee, that lovely soft weight!, and his head began to nod, those eyelids drooping.

So I sang on, and gradually, oh so slowly, he stretched completely onto his side, his head in the straw seeking a comfy pillow, inching back, little by little, until he was flat out.

Then snoring with eyes closed.

I sang on, just whispering the words while his ears twitched, and then when he was spark out, slowly, carefully, I started to get up to get on with more mucking out.

He opened one eye as I rose, let out an almighty contented sigh, and slept on, peaceful and safe, just how I like him.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?