Friday 10 September 2010

Happy Whuffle to me

It was fortunate that my birthday this year fell on a Friday, which is the day that Max and I have scheduled to do nothing.

It's a productive nothing. We go into the school, Max is at liberty, no headcollar, no saddle, no nothing. He is set free to do what he likes, and I have no intention other than watching him, with nobody around to ask questions or wonder what we're up to or why I'm not riding.

We've had our do nothing Fridays for about a month now, and Max has a good understanding of it. He used to stand expectantly (after his roll) waiting for me to ask something of him. Now he knows I won't, so he has a wander about, sniffing and looking, but always wanders back to where I am.

If he indicates that he would like to try some stuff out, then we do that until something else catches his attention and off he goes again. We spend about an hour just hanging out together quietly like this, and the time just flies by. There is nothing boring to me, about watching Max be a horse.

The brilliant thing about our do nothing Fridays, is that it has the potential for Max magic.

So it was, on my birthday, that Max's gift to me, was magic.

There was laughter, of course, and there was peace. Much time spent standing together nuzzling and lots of attention paid to Max's best itchy spots. He even allowed me to crawl right under him for a proper belly scratch.

After a time, I set myself up on the bench to just sit and watch, and Max wandered over and planted himself, again, in the perfect position for me to mount up, so I did.

Again, he took me to the centre of the school, and then stood, ears slightly back, waiting.

So, like the first time, I nudged his left elbow with my boot and whispered "Spanish". Up came his left leg, hovering and then down. So I nudged his right elbow, and up came his right leg, hovering, and then down.

"Max, you are brilliant!"

That is when I heard, and felt, a deep, rumbling whuffle from my boy. It was gentle and musical, quiet and wonderful.

I slid off his back and he turned his head to face me with soft, unblinking eyes.

"Are you wishing me a happy birthday, my Max?"

Head nod reply.

I don't have to tell you who got all the pony nuts.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?