Thursday 12 February 2009

Mystery golden disc in sky over Hampshire…

... Radiates warmth. I wonder, should I fear it?

Course not! The sun has capered over Hampshire for the last couple of days, though today has danced away again, to warm others and leave us with grey skies once more.

It has been pleasant, though still cold. Pleasant to the point where I strode purposefully to Max’s box on Tuesday afternoon determined to exercise him before my yard shift started, only to find him snoozing in the sunshine, curled up like a pussy cat. He lifted his head for a kiss, and indulgent guardian that I am, I moved his hay over to where he could easily munch while remaining at his ease, and instead of exercising, just curled up with him to enjoy his Maxo Relaxo time. I have no doubt there’s as much value in such time spent together as there is in working on halt transitions in the school.

Under overcast skies today, we headed back to the school, Max wearing his “embarrassing necklace” as our YO has dubbed it. A pretty unhappy session really. We’re both bored with school work now and Max seemed to have lost his ability to “stand” again.

I thought, since there was no rain, we’d give it up and go out for a wander instead. A bit problematic as the farmer’s pigs have moved to a new field, and we’d only just got used to them where they were (and this time there’s no avoiding them) and also some very low flying helicopters that have been buzzing the area for a couple of days now. We’ve already had one run in with a low flying helicopter and it was not fun.

Yesterday, one of our younger yard horses was so frightened that he jumped out of his field into the road to get away from it. No cars, thank God, and he found his way back to the yard in a lather. He’s been moved to another field as a result. He can still jump out, but only into the yard so in less danger of hurting himself or causing a menace on the road.

As we left the school, Max’s former best buddy field mate was being turned out with his new field mate. A bit of field swapping has gone on and sadly, Smoky no longer lives with Max and the Boss. We hope that will change soon, because Max and Smoky are fast friends and they miss each other.

I let them have a sniff at the gate, and then Max and I went off (Max very reluctantly). We got past the pigs fine and Smoky was following us along the fence line. Then we turned up the bridleway and were awash in really sticky mud.

Max managed to get us up the hill, puffing and picking his way carefully, and we walked a little further along the top of a hill before I hopped off, giving it up for a loss. I knew Max was struggling because his four feet were sliding out from under him like Bambi on ice in the Disney film. Once my own feet hit the ground, I was doing the same.

We got back down the hill and were again in line with the field where Smoky and his ginger friend were out grazing. There was a stare off, and then I urged Max on. Another stop, another look, and Smoky and Ginger were closer. Another "Walk on, please sir!", another stop, Smoky and Ginger were closer.

I started to laugh and said, “Max, it’s just like that Doctor Who episode with the angel statues that can only move when you blink!” Struck me as really funny because Smoky and Ginger were always side by each in exactly the same position I’d last seen them, only way closer!

Max looked at me, completely baffled. He does enjoy it when I laugh, but this time he couldn’t figure out what the joke was. Well, he’s never seen Doctor Who, has he?

Once the mud was gone, I mounted up again and Max and I trotted home, with Smoky following us along the fence line again. Quite sweet, really.

Tack off, rugged up, lots of praise for being a good boy, and then off to the field.

“Don’t wanna.”

Really reluctant Max. Happy in his box, hay, water, nice straw bed. Yawn!

“No field tonight, ok? Damp and nasty. Here is good.”

Unfortunately that is not the yardroutine. Much as I would have loved to have let him stay in, curl up with stacks of hay, and stay warm and dry, there was no option but the field, and to the field he went. Little heart stealer stood by the gate and watched me walk away, all forlorn. Watched me get into my car, and called as I drove off.

Argh!

How much would I love to have Max at home with me? One day….

Everybody has to have a goal, and mine is having Max on my land, at home, with a box/barn he can choose to live in or not as he sees fit, when he sees fit.

One day...

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?