Thursday 5 February 2009

Talk to the hoof; the pony ain't interested!

If Max didn't make me laugh so much, today would have been frustrating!

Into the indoor school for a bit of longlining today. The weather is improving, but the lanes and bridleways still aren't brilliant under foot, and as we haven't been able to get up to much this week with the snow, queues for the indoor school and whatnot, I figured it was a good opportunity to do a little more work on the lines, revisiting our transitions and such.

Max did not want to know. He was amiable enough, he was happy to be with me and offering up all his tricks for a fuss and a giggle, but when it came to getting down to work, "Nyah, nyah, nyah. Don't wanna! Phht!"

I chased after him, I growled, I stomped my feet all to no avail. If I got up close and personal, and full of energy myself I could push him on for a bit, but it didn't last long.

Took the lines off and decided to try the lunge. Frankly, with very little effect, as it happens. To get anywhere I still had to be at his shoulder, encouraging him to match my pace. He grumbled, he griped, he shook his forelock at me, snorted, tried to see me off. All in a good natured way, but definitely not playing ball just the same.

Stopped and tried clicker training for a bit, and that Max was agreeable to.

Finally capitulated all together and took of his pad and roller so he could have a roll. This he did with wild abandon, rolling over three times and squirming away all the itchy bits with his four feet pointing skyward. Despite the cold, Max is moulting so a roll was very welcome indeed.

Good things I noticed about today: Max still holds himself beautifully on the lines in his Dr Cook's. Not so great on the lunge, but maybe that will come. I love what he does on the lines, and how he responds to vibrations from my fingers.

I also noted that in trot, both on the lines and on the lunge, he kept sticking his nose to the ground, like a hound dog on the scent.

Remarked about it to another livery owner after we'd finished our session and she said her boy was doing exactly the same thing. She thought it was just them trying to have a good stretch after a few days of being fairly stationary and pretty cold.

General thoughts on today's session: C'est la vie! We all have days where we just don't want to do that work, and today was Max's day. Big deal! Nothing to get worked up about, and tomorrow is another day. In a way, I feel we get further by me accepting his moods and working round them rather than trying to drive him on despite his objections.

No, not all the time, it's not a "get out of jail free" card, but every now and then, better to read him, cut him some slack and call it a day. Max wanted a play day, not a work day, and fair enough. I like to play, too!

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?