Sunday 22 February 2009

Nekkid and sheepish

Continuing mild spell to the extent that Max went out to his field and enjoyed the sun on his bare bum for the afternoon. I weighed up the chance that he'd roll in mud against the feeling of warm sunshine and being free to have a scratch, and decided that since I was at the yard anyway, I'd put his rug on just before I left.

I think, by the state of the loose hair and mud stains on his sides that my decision was appreciated.

The horses were all a little agitated as the Hunt went through our area yesterday and it always causes a stir, all the horses thundering about while ours are kept in for their own safety.

After it had all died down, our afternoon lot went out and Max and the Boss (who had been part of the Hunt earlier in the day) spent quite a bit of time investigating new arrivals in the next paddock over.

A flock of sheep have been borrowed to graze our summer "jumping paddock", and although the Boss was familiar with the species and walked off with an air of boredom after initial surprise, Max was quite taken with these new creatures, especially when they decided to have a bit of an enmasse run-about.

"What the devil? Is it one thing? Is it many things? What is that noise?"

I'm not sure Max could decide whether to be charmed or appalled (or jealous of the abundance of scrubby grass the creature(s) had at their disposal.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?