Tuesday 17 November 2009

Maximus Puddle Duck

I had Max out for a mini hack. Not much time when I knew I had to catch a train to London for a mystery date, but the weather was fine so off we went. Had a bit of a problem with a HUGE puddle, but we got past it. Through it, more correctly.

One almighty nap up along the ridge that took a while to work out - we turned, and turned, and turned some more - and I felt a bit more forceful than I like. My "forceful" is not very forceful in the great scheme of things. Got him going in the end with a thwack of the whip on my boot and a, "For Heaven's Sake, Max, get on with you! Enough with the foolishness!" but felt really crap about it.

I don't like seeing Max's head come up like he thinks I'm going to hit him. Really hate forcing him forward when he's in a tangle (over who knows what and always wonder if he sees something, knows something that I don't), but I know sometimes I'm not firm enough, too, so I do need to persevere.

Always feel like I have to apologise afterwards though!

When we met the big puddle again on our way home though, was not forceful at all and felt much happier. Just sat there and let him work it out. I knew we were in the perect situation to do just that. Home on the horizon, he knew where he was, no worries, all the time in the world to work it out.

A big stand and stare. I could feel it all going on. He wanted to turn and run from the puddle, but doing that would take him away from home. His natural curiosity also works in my favour on this stuff.

More Stand and stare. All rigid. A little relax, a little snaky neck, a few steps forward, head lowered.

"By God What is this thing? What new devilry is this, eh? I cannot fathom it!"

A step back. Stand and stare, all rigid...

Then forward again, head low. A stamp, a splash, and finally through!

"Good boy, Max!"

This next will make you laugh or roll your eyes. Or both.

Here be the Words of Wisdom:

Got back to the yard and YO asked, "How was he?" as she always does.

Said he was brilliant, but the bridleways are treacherous, which they are. Really slippy, like ice, and going down the hill (I considered getting off, but more on that later) I could see all the sliding hoofprints of horses who had lost their footing before us.

"Well," YO said, "Of course Max will find it more difficult because he's not shod. He's got no grip, has he?"

BWAH HA HA HA HA!

Shoeless horse has no grip in mud! Oh please! My sides are aching!

I was loosening Max's girth as she said it, and just tucked my head into his shoulder because I was laughing and knew nothing I could say would disabuse her of that, frankly, ridiculous notion!

I came away from the girth adjusting with a straight face and said, "Oh, he was like a mountain goat! Really sure footed!"

Thing is, he was just that. He's a notorious stumble bum, my Max, looking everywhere but where he's going, so trips over every root in the ground and big rocks. Pleas of "Max! Max Pay attention!" fall on deaf ears.

It was so slippy I considered, and very nearly did dismount to lead him down the hill, but he seemed so set on picking his own way!

So I slipped the reins (kept contact but let him get his head down low because he was keen to look where he was putting his feet) took my weight away from his fronts and let him find his way down the slippy hill.

He was brilliant! Absolutely trustworthy, carefully picking his path, hesitating, then finding purchase and carrying on.

What a good Max! I was so delighted with him, and he was pretty delighted with himself, too.

Some days I'm just so proud of him! Reminds me of what I always thought confidence and horsemanship should be. It is not just about being a confident rider. For me the emphasis is on mutual confidence. It's knowing when to quell my own doubts and trust Max to get us through the tricky stuff, just like he should trust me enough to go forward through big puddles when I say it's safe.

When it counts, that mutual confidence we work so hard to build between us is what could get us out of a very bad situation. That is confidence and partnership.

I love my boy and the learning about the big bad world we do together. Even though he is barefoot and therefore totally unable to find his grip in mud. I may invest in four suction cups fitted to keep us safe.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?