Wednesday 11 November 2009

So easy when you get it right!

Perhaps I should be touching wood in the hope that I don't jinx anything, but Max and I have hit one of those grooves where it all seems to be coming together effortlessly.

It's not been effortless at all, for either of us. We've been back-stepping and covering old ground. I've been observing, reading, asking questions of knowledgeable horsey colleagues and making adjustments.

I have had Max's Pee Wee bit adjusted to the re-training setting after a few sessions of evasion and even getting his tongue over the bit once (which was alarming!). He was going well on the new setting, but just recently has objected in a way that has made me wonder if he needs the equine dentist. There's evasion, and then there's distress and I am never happy to see Max distressed.

We moved back to his Dr Cook's bitless for long-lining so I could see if that was better. I have a few niggles with the Dr Cook's; the noseband sits very low and interferes with the cyst on Max's nose. I've adjusted it upwards to avoid that, which probably makes it less effective, but effective enough for us to have a very good lining session on Sunday.

Oh, there was attitude all right, at first, and I was trying to work him through it with a watchful eye. We got into a muddle because I was holding the long lunge whip and it just feels like too much stuff in my hands, so I discarded it, concentrated on the position of my hands, keeping my wrists supple and elastic, and driving him on with stomps, insistent growls and getting up close and personal.

In the midst of all this flapping about and energy, I also managed to get my body in the right position and suddenly it was all change! Max went forward beautifully, picking up his feet, powering through from his hinds, and light in my hands up front, so that just the slightest squeeze from my fingers was met with directional change.

Then I'd lose it, and he'd slow and look a bit lost, then I'd get it back and off he'd power again. I can't describe the trot really. It's not exactly floaty (I don't know if my hairy pony does "floaty") but something akin to it.

We tried again today, back in his Pee Wee bit, but that was adjusted back to the normal setting to see how he'd get on.

We warmed up for 10 minutes, getting the feel of it, me, eyes like a hawk watching his mouth for any signs of discomfort, but after mouthing a little, he settled and seemed happy enough.

Off we went on our trot round me. I am not still and unmoving in the centre, I goe with him, try to stay slightly behind so as not to block him, and close enough to drive him on with my own energy and the occasional "Stop slouching, sir! Energy! Let's go! Scoot, scoot, scoot!"

Clever boy, he has learned to respond to "Scoot!"

Again, I dropped the whip to keep my hands free and sensitive, again I found the right position and off he went like an absolute star, really using his body well and holding himself together with such ease and grace.

He'll never be elegant, my Max, but he's certainly elegant enough for me.

We didn't have to stop and collect ourselves when my 10 minute timer on the left rein rang, just slowed to walk, turned him on the right rein and off we went again.

Just ten minutes warming up and ten minutes good working trot on each rein and then finishing with a flourish of canter on each rein just to see if we could.

Short session, but meaningful and very worthwhile. I'd much rather have him work well for a short time and end on an up than keep after him just for the sake of totting up the minutes.

Finally I walked him back towards the door and his head collar. Asked for stand and got it while I collected his long lines, wrapped them up and clipped them to his roller, then finally bridle off and head collar on. He didn't move an inch.

I offered him a gobful of pony nuts.

"Max, that was brilliant. How splendid are you?"

He got that look I love, the eager eye, delighted chomping and a small sigh as he puffed at the end of his exertion and concentration.

"I did good?"

"Couldn't ask for better, my boy. You were totally 'wow'!"

A pause while he chomped, then lowered head into my arm.

"You did good, too. So clear. I really understood what you were asking this time. Ask like that more often, ok?"

That's the thing with horses. They are brilliant teachers. When it's not going to plant, you do well to look to yourself before blaming it on your ned. The ease of these past few sessions has been more about me getting it right so that Max could get it right too, not the other way around. He is such a forgiving teacher.

Now I just want to get better. How do I do that? Practice! Kind hands with tweaks of pressure, good body language and body position equals clarity for Max. He's always generous and tries so hard, but when I am clear, we go to a whole new level.

Life is all about communication, and there's no better guide to the fine points of communicating than an expressive horse who is allowed to speak his mind. Let him speak, and you have a mentor and a partner. Force his silence, and you have a servant. I know which I prefer.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?