Friday 14 March 2008

Elegant, though unanticipated dismount

The weather has been rather against us this week, so no meandering walks or lone hacks for Max and me. We've been playing in his stable, doing a bit of loose work, long lining and today, a bit of bareback work which didn't go too well.

Truthfully, the long lining yesterday didn't go very well, either. We were back to square one, as if Max had never had a roller on his back, never had long lines attached, and was quite sure he'd never met me before either, so though he didn't like to be rude, why the heck should he do anything I asked?

Some days are just like that, though, so chalk it up to experience. I hit the point yesterday where I was beginning to feel quite frustrated with him, so took a deep breath, gave him a rub on the forehead, a kiss on his much loved nose, and took all the gear off him so he could have a sniff and a roll. I don't like to work him when I'm feeling frustrated- gets us nowhere!

Equally frustrating today, but my fault, I think. It's a long story, but I have tinnitus in both ears and now and then, I think as a result, I have a few balance problems. Doesn't really affect me much day to day, but today I was no good bareback, I could feel I had no centre of gravity, and Max protested in the strongest possible terms!

Good things about today: I seem to have accidentally learned a new way to make Max back up with a shift of my balance. Even when it's going wrong bareback, I always find something fascinating to take away and think about. His reactions to my little haphazard shifts are so pure and so honest that Max becomes my best teacher.

Bad things about today: I went out the side door as Max decided he'd had enough of trot transitions and decided to have a little canter with his head down.

I slid out the side door, sweet as pie, and landed on my feet, holding the reins and a bit of Max's mane. He stopped immediately.

"Whatcha, mum! You seem to be on the ground. How did that happen?"

"How do you think, monkey boy? Nice display of footwork, there."

"Cheers. I've been working on it for a few days now."

"Have we had enough of that for today, do you think?"

"Well, I'm grand, but you're like a sack of spuds, frankly, and unless you want to be peeled and roasted..."

Enough said. Max is wise, I am a little off kilter and tomorrow is another day.

Max's potential op has buzzed about the yard. Everyone I've spoken to is supportive and hopeful that a simple procedure could make Max's world a better place. Mine too, of course, but the focus is on Max, which is fine by me.

One friend even offered today to provide transport for us. "A nice day out" she said. Take him there, find out what's what, have a bit of lunch, bring him home. No trouble. I'm happy to help if you need it."

How fortunate are Max and I in our friends?

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?