Wednesday 5 March 2008

Maximus Mischievus

That's his Latin name, I've decided.

Another day with not enough time to do any meaningful work with Max. Oh, sure, we had a play in his box and all that, but tomorrow... tomorrow, I hope.

Max is coping fine, but I'm pining. If the weather holds, I just want to take my boy out on a long walk in his head collar, so we can gaze at the views together, and just be us. Have a proper chat and catch up on what's going on with us, and remember what it's like to be just me and Max, with no time pressure.

From today's performance, though, I'm just waiting to be told that Max has either knocked somebody on the noggin with his extravagently nodding head, or that there is something wrong with him from the persistent head shake.

Max and I are at the "in between" stage of clicker training with his new stuff, where the lightbulb goes off over his head when he's twigged what behaviour gives treats, and the point where he realises that performing that behaviour ad hoc will not get him treats.

Historically, it takes a few days days for him to work that out, but there is also the fact that I've not been able to spend quality time with him since Sunday and that has slowed us down. He is trying to get my attention as I buzz past him doing yard work because he just wants to hang out and have the attention devoted to Himself.

I get that. If I were him, I'd be doing the same thing.

Today, as he was trying to get my attention with big head nods, "Stop" with my hands held out seemed to work. But my worry is what happens when I'm not there and somebody else is trying to take Max to the field? Somebody who doesn't know the "Stop" command that he responds to for me?

I've created a monster! But only a small monster. We'll deal with it.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?