Monday 24 March 2008

Freeze!


Not a comment on the weather (although it is still a bit chillsome) but thoughts on clicker training.

The one persistent negative I've read and heard about clicker training is that it can lead to biting. There are some who go so far as to say nothing should be fed by hand at all. There's also an argument that horses aren't motivated by "treats" as it's not really a concept that they understand.

I think it may depend on the individual horse, or individual partnership, I suppose, and each must decide what is best for themselves based on their own experience. I can understand the worries about a horse becoming mouthy with clicker training; I certainly experience that with Max. But he was mouthy before we started clicker training, and he doesn't use teeth, just lips. Still, it's an unattractive habit and one I wish to discourage.

I tried giving him his pony nut reward in his feed bowl rather than from my hand to see if it made a difference. It didn't, really, and was of limited appeal anyway as it only works when we're in his stable, not working on the ground or ridden.

The thing is, he catches on so fast and is so eager when we're in the midst of a session, that I decided, though it may sound counter-intuitive, to try and cure him of what may be deemed an unfortunate side effect of clicker training with... ta da! Clicker training!

There are certain areas around Max's head, neck and chest where I know he will nip at me, so we've been slowly working on those. I move my hand towards a known trouble spot and wait for Max's movement. When it comes, I say "No" and persist, laying my flat hand against him and holding it there. If he tries to nip he gets a quiet reprimand and a little flick under the chin.


When he allows my hand and stops fussing, the second he does that, I click and he gets a pony nut.

It's working!

We had another go today after Mr Lazy Bones got up from his second snooze of the morning.


We're at the point now where I can go anywhere in his traditional "nip zone" and not only does he not go for me, he freezes! Even if he's still chewing his previous reward, he stops, stands stock still and waits for his click.

We still have a way to go. Max is still Max, and when the session is done and the pony nuts have all been chewed, he will still give me a lip tug when I turn my back just to make sure I know that he still can, and he still has a mind of his own. I turn swiftly back to him.

"Max! Was that a nibble?"

He can't answer me though, because he's standing still, like a statue, just in case there might be just a bit of pony nut dust left in the bottom of my pocket.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?