Sunday 29 June 2008

Bad back history, sore mouth mystery

Poor ol' Max is suffering from my bad back. I have learned to live with a degree of discomfort and stiffness in my lower back over the years - it's an ever present "background noise" and can usually be ignored. Yes, stretches and yoga help, so do osteopaths, chiropractors and regular massage. The best thing is movement, I find, and the worst thing is office work. Yard work helps a great deal, as does riding, just keeping the area mobile and supple; sitting at my desk at work afterwards brings on the dull ache and occasionally a more painful twinge.

I can live with it unless something goes wrong, and something has. I don't know how I've wrenched my back and right hip, but I have. Getting through yard work yesterday was more than a chore, and although I had the afternoon off and freedom to spend some time with Max, I couldn't contemplate it with the pain; I just wanted to get home and lie down.

Today, we did try a bit of riding. Nothing ambitious, more for Max's benefit than mine. We tried the outdoor paddock first. I'd been to a birthday party last night and declined a go on the Dodgem cars because I was afraid I'd wrench myself. Well, Max was one big fairground ride in the paddock, and I had no ability to absorb his movements or help him.

We jarred along for a bit, and then I decided to take him for a walk up the lane to ease things out, see if I could get my lower body working, and get him away from the temptation of grazing (he is still grumpy about his diet).

That was a little better, so we finished off in a resting field to see if I could coax a little more effort out of him for the sake of his fitness. This halted abruptly when Max, footloose and fancy free, attempted a joyous little canter and was promptly stopped short as I slammed into his back like a dead weight, unable to move with him in any way. My right hip went into what felt like a spasm, and as soon as I sorted that, I slid off and loosened his girth.

Riding is out of the question for a little while. I can live with Max being cheeky and wayward when ridden, but I will not accept being the cause of pain or strain for him.

I am also a little concerned about what appears to be a rash of dry sores on his mouth, on the corners of his lips on each side. Doesn't seem to be troubling him and the bit doesn't interfere. I applied some aloe and will keep an eye on it. I suspect he is reacting to a plant he's eaten, judging by the position - something that was hanging out either side of his mouth.

He has a rub behind his ear too, and I have no idea what has caused it. He's not wearing his fly mask, his bridle doesn't sit where the rub is, his head collar is soft, and he's been wearing it for two years with no trouble.

It's a puzzler, but the least of our worries at the moment.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?