Monday 2 June 2008

Why is everybody chasing me?

Max has had a work out and a half today!

I had a good look at him this afternoon and decided he needs Weight Watchers. I've been vigilant over his weight these past few weeks, with the threat of laminitis in mind. His feet still seem fine, no sign of being "footy", no heat, no digital pulses, and even last week we were remarking that although he's gained a little weight, it hasn't been an alarming amount.

What caught my eye this afternoon was that he seems to be getting a little "cresty". That's an early warning signal. The ridge at the very top of his neck has become hard and a little bumpy, indicating fat stores. It has come on very quickly and I remarked on it to my YO.

She agreed, and said if I was concerned, we could move him to "the pony paddock". It's not a starvation paddock, but it's very well grazed and the grass that is left is quite scrubby, not as rich and sugar loaded.

I took him to the school while I thought about it. My brilliant plan today was to long line him with his saddle on for 20 minutes, really working on a good walk and getting him turning and listening to me, and then once worked in, remove the lines, put on his reins and get down to business with some trot work.

Very brilliant plan, if I do say so myself. The long lining went better than it has in ages, while we just concentrated on the very basics and towards the end, he was doing serpentines and changing direction on cue like a pro. Doing it slowly and calmly, not trying anything fancy, really gave me a chance to concentrate on my position and what I was doing with my hands, and Max responded really well to that.

After he'd been worked in and praised enthusiastically, the ridden work went really well. We did about 40 minutes of rising and sitting trot, just round on each rein at first, and then working in bends and figures of eight. He still tries to deak out on the corners on the right rein, but we worked on that and it was coming along very nicely by the end of the session.

We did a final little bit on reining back, which was only just successful, but since we haven't done that much with me in the saddle, it was good enough to give him a pony nut and dismount. I took off all his gear and let him have a roll.

Took him back for a sponge bath because he'd worked up a sweat, then told YO that yes, I was concerned enough to want him in the pony paddock. Could tell she thought it was a wise choice and said it may only need to be for a few days, but really best to err on the side of caution.

The other two ponies were already out, so it was for me to introduce Max and then stay and watch for any signs of trouble. He was out with the same two ponies for a spell last summer, none of them are kickers, so we didn't expect any real trouble.

Max worked his way in slowly, and it took a while for the other two to spot him. But when they did... what a show!

I watched for about five or ten minutes as they thundered about the field, sussing each other out. Of course I was anxious that nobody got hurt, but it was also thrilling to watch them all, unfettered by riders, just galloping in unison around the field. Especially Max, with his tail held high and his elegant paces.

I laughed as I watched because Max figured out quickly how to lose them when they were chasing. He'd stop and turn suddenly, like a proper cow pony, and the other two would keep shooting off ahead before they realised they'd lost him.

"Doh! Where'd the wee blighter go? Huh? He was just here a minute ago... Oh! There he is!" and they'd chase after him again. Max would run, and then nimbly duck away again and leave the other two dumbfounded and floundering.

I had stayed well back to protect my safety, but Max spotted me and came trotting towards me, head held high, with a look of "Home safe!" in his eye.

He scuttled behind me and parked his head over my shoulder, puffing loudly, while the other two bore down on us.

"Uh oh..." says I to myself.

I stayed outwardly calm, stepped forward with arms raised and waved them away. With every move I made to counter them, Max moved behind me, keeping me in front as his protection barrier.

"Nyah, nyah! I've told my mum!"

"Cool it, you two!" I barked and we stood in a face off.

Max put his head down and started grazing. The other two followed his lead, and I edged away, still watching, but giving off, I hoped, an unconcerned vibe.

I stayed at the gate and watched for a bit, and they were all peacefully standing in a group, heads down, and all friendly like.

YO will check them again when she goes home, and happily, her kitchen looks out on the pony paddock, so she will be on the scene if there are any renewed hostilities. There won't be though, they just needed to sort out the pecking order, and for now, Max is obliging by being low man on the totem pole. He won't stay that way, of course. He'll gradually assert himself, he's the biggest and the fastest of the three, but the important thing is he's in a safe paddock for his weight, and today, at least, he's had a proper work-out.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?