Sunday 8 June 2008

The Great Escape?

Something got Max's back up in the night. He was still jittery when I arrived at the yard, and his box looked like some whirling dervishes had been doing their whirling practice in there.

I was then told that all three ponies in the paddock were so intrigued by some creature of the night (maybe foxes doing the crazy mating call?) that they practically had to be dragged in from where they were lined up together at the far fence, gazing intently at the woods.

Max was taken to his box, settled down to his breakfast pony nuts, and the next time YO walked past, she saw Max, front feet OVER his box door, clamouring to get out.

"Get down sir!" she cried. "That's not how we do things here!"

He did get back down, luckily.

Checking him over, he had a few small grazes on his front legs, which I cleaned up. No swelling or lameness though. We also think he's lost a teensy bit of weight, which is a good sign. He's still a bit cresty, but it's not as rigid as it was.

He had a very long walk in hand today and I stupidly wore shorts, so am now covered in nettle stings. I would have liked to have ridden him today with the Ent leading on foot, but Max has a small sore right on his girth line, and the girth rubbing it on Friday, before I'd noticed it, made it quite sore and angry. I'm going to let it heal before I attempt to put his saddle or roller on him.

The timing isn't great, since we're trying to get the weight off. Although long walks are good, and we both enjoy them, not being able to ride or long-line isn't ideal.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?