Tuesday 6 January 2009

Ball skills

Max and I had a wonderful break from the relentless chill today. It's still tediously cold and icy and I didn't want to plague either of us with busy work, so we went into the school for some clicker training.

We started off with a brief recap of the things Max already knows well, and then began to concentrate on coming forward and stopping on command. I managed to get him coming forward with the word "forward" with a hand movement, whilst at the same time leaning forward, as I do when asking him for a "kiss". From a short distance, my leaning forward got him to step towards me with his nose extended (click treat). I'd walk a few steps away, try again with "Forward Max", then further away, and eventually just the hand signal with no words would bring him towards me, with another hand signal to stop (not quite so good at this one yet, he stops when he reaches my hand, not when he hears "Stand" or sees "Stop" - but we can work on that).

We then worked on his hoof raising, and had another go at hoof raising with the "Forward" command, but that was a step too far, and that's fine, it's early days.

What I noticed though, was he kept eyeing the football in the corner of the school, which we have used for clicker play before. I "hoof" it across the school, then he goes and touches it with his nose for a click treat.

The interesting result today, once I fetched the ball for him, was that he began to use what we'd already done in a new combination with the ball. First a touch with his nose as usual, but then he started raising his front legs alternatively, and using them to touch the ball (click treat!) then balancing his hoof on the ball, and eventually, kicking the ball away. Little kicks, he wasn't using power or aim particularly well, but once it was rolling, he'd go after it and try again.

The thing I love best about days like these, is that they are just so stress free, just Max and I having fun and playing together, trying out new things and reaching new understanding with no look of confusion in Max's eyes, just concentration and delight when he sees my reaction. As well as clicker, he appears to enjoy making me laugh (big head nods if I start to giggle) and he LOVES applause. He loves that as much as a jackpot of pony nuts. When I clap enthusiastically because he's done something very clever, he immediately tries to recreate it to see if I'll give him another standing ovation.

We finished with a question. "Are you the cleverest pony on the yard Max?"

Oh yes! Big head nod!

"Is there a more clever horse than you?"

"No, no, no!" he shook his head emphatically.

With his prize of pony nuts, we left the yard and I quietly admired how he walked in step with me, turned when I turned, waited patiently while I opened and closed gates, and was a complete gent.

All our play time, just "horsing around", has been a very sound investment, I reckon.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?