Friday 16 January 2009

I got beads that jingle jangle jingle...

In the post today, Max's rhythm beads! How delightful! They are "ocean" scheme, all blues and greens, with silver bells. He will wear them round his neck and will be a stealth pony no more.

OK, I admit I'm a bit hippy dippy, but there is method to the madness. There is always method to my madness if one cares to look deeply enough!

Various people over the centuries have decorated their horses, from Romans through to native American/Canadians. Through colour and noise, the beads were thought to protect from evil spirits, provide strength and... well, they do look kinda cool.

Much as I would be tempted to say I am drawn to this latest exploit by the eyebrows I know I will raise as I yet again go down the path of "unconventional" into the forest of "What IS she like?!", it's not just about that.

It's partly safety. Max pads about as Shoeless Joe, and does not announce his presence on the bridleways to dogs, walkers, cyclist, even motorists, until we just about crash into each other. Now he will sweetly jingle and be heard before he is seen.

Also, the "rhythm" aspect is potentially to help Max and I focus on what is immediately with us rather than what is happening around us and spook-worthy; might even help us hit a groove and stay there.

Finally, my pony deserves bells wherever he goes, and now he will have them. We will make a joyous noise as we stride forward, and the bells just might drown out my singing.

Max may not like 'em. I am prepared for that.

Watch this space!

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?