Thursday 8 January 2009

Poor poorly Max...

Max and I have experienced a deja vu moment.

I approached his box this morning, surprised that he wasn't eagerly watching my progress.

When I arrived at his door he honoured me with a delighted whuffle but I could see straight away that he wasn't himself.

I asked for a kiss and Max walked to me slowly, stretched his neck forward, but not very far. He collected himself and tried again but no, no stretch. He sighed and lowered his head, a despondant Eeyore.

"It's OK Max," I soothed, "It was a good try."

No click, but he got a treat and an early decision that today, despite me having loads of time, we would do nothing much at all.

Yesterday was flu jab day, and I know from last year that Max will have a day or two of feeling not so bright, and his neck will hurt. Last year he couldn't turn for his carrot stretches, so it makes sense that today he can't stretch out his neck for a snog.

So we had quiet time instead. A little fuss made, a bit of Max just lowering his head against me and resting it there, perfectly content to be cuddled. We also fitted his Dr Cook's bitless bridle, which I've got on trial for 30 days. Spent quite a lot of time adjusting it, consulting the instructions, which were perched on Max's back (sometimes having a back like a table comes in handy!)and I think I've got it right. The bridle is a little stiff, but one would expect that with new gear anyway.

Tomorrow, if Max is feeling a little perkier, I will try a little long-lining in the Dr Cook's and see how well he responds.

Fingers crossed it suits Max well, because I would love him to be iron free.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?