Monday 26 January 2009

Sideways leap of faith

For the first time in a long time, Max and I took advantage of a break in the weather and spent rather a long time out and about on our own.

We found a couple of big stubble fields that looked peaceful and inviting, so off we went to reacquaint Max with being alone on a hack in fields he had never visited before.

We explored, Max stopped to have a sniff and a stare, remained placid when a murder of angry crows bickered and flapped as we passed, and was happy to ease into a gentle canter when asked.

What a lovely feeling, just Max and I rocking along in his comfy canter, beautiful scenery, a slight breeze and WHOOPS! a big ol' leap sideways with snort as a walker appeared from a gap in the hedgerow with two dogs on leads.

Any fears of going out the side door, being deserted by my besieged steed, losing my saddle to slippage, were allowed only the briefest flash into my mind. Max seemed to assess the situation mid-leap and decided that actually, we could cope with this just fine. He righted himself and cantered sedately on, as I called out a cheery "good morning!" to the dogs and walker over my shoulder.

I try to remind myself and others that having a horse is supposed to be fun.

Today was definitely fun!

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?