Monday 18 August 2008

Damage recovery

Max and I had a very happy session today.

We long lined again, but without the pad or roller, just the Dually, the lines, and me tucked in at Max's side, with the line round his haunches, working quietly and calmly on turning aids.

Lots of pauses for ear scritches and sighs together. Lots of time to just be, and loads of praise when we steadily, slowly, calmly got it right.

"There you go, Max. We can do it."

"I always could. You're a mess. Stop trying so hard! Breathe in and be the lines..."

Max the Zen Master.

After long lining, we did a little bit of in hand, and we were brilliant! Two heads, two hearts, six feet; poetry in motion!

Then finally a little bit of loose to finish off. I didn't set his small jump up for him, but the flat bit of the jump was just laying on the ground in the school, so we had a go at trotting over it.

Max did a proper jump over it. Not too big, but tucked up his front legs and did a proper hop.

Bless him, he could have easily just stepped over it, but I think he's got that it pleases me if he jumps, so he offered it up.

Apparently, it makes Max happy to see me happy. Well, happy usually means pony nuts, after all. Max is no fool.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?