Monday 11 August 2008

Go ahead and rain on our parade

Max has no fear of umbrellas.

We spent a long time today, with a scary umbrella over his head, on his back, against his neck, open, closed, twirling, fluttering, and being thrown way up, and then landing at a distance.

Though Max had the big eyes and the alert carriage of his head, he stood still and concentrated on me and his clicks. I eventually got him bending towards the umbrella for his treats, and after initially sidling his rear away from the umbrella, in the end, not only did he stand still for it, he chased it when it was thrown, and picked it up in his teeth by whatever he could grab, material or handle.

When I hung it from some jumps and stood away from it, he strode forward with confidence to knock it off its perch. When I twirled it over my head and walked towards him, he stretched his nose forward on the "touch" command to cease its spinning and collect his reward.

I had just wanted today to be a bit of fun and games for the two of us, having been apart for a while and just getting back into the swing. What I had thought would be a bit of a do nothing/hanging out together session turned into a showcase for Max's brave heart and trust.

Should we ever be approached by spooky umbrellas, Max knows just what to do.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?