Saturday 2 August 2008

Mixing it up

Today, I schooled Max between yard shifts, after I'd nipped home for a bit of lunch, leaving Max to enjoy his, too.

We went into the school for in hand schooling first on the Dually, for about 15 minutes, then I attached the reins and rode him bareback for another quarter of an hour. My balance is appalling! The combination of a bad back, and not riding as a result of it, is very telling. I had to really concentrate to give any seat aids at all, but when I hit the right note, Max was consistently responsive. I didn't want to spend too long at it though, because it wasn't comfortable for me, and I knew it couldn't be for Max, either.

A final walk out in hand, down the lane, and then a run/trot all the way back to the yard on a hot, muggy afternoon. Not the best warm-up for me before an afternoon of mucking out, but Max seemed to enjoy it.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?