Thursday 31 July 2008

Hot and bovvered

A dreary, still, sticky day today. Spots of rain now and again, but nothing untoward.

I took Max into the school for a bit of in hand work and we got on well. Some rather intense up close and personal stuff, coming forward and backing up with pressure and release, working towards me just leaning into him and away from him to get a response. He was coming along with that brilliantly, and though we're not ready to show off yet, it's something to continue working on.

We did a few turns in hand, too, changing paces and changing direction, and Max is very quick to follow me now, stays right at my shoulder and doesn't come into any pressure from the headcollar because he's right there with me, with only a slack line.

After that I let him out on one long ling and worked on a smaller circle, snaking a driving whip behind him and working him through walk, trot and back to walk and stand on voice command. It's sometimes difficult to get him to stay out on the end of the line in trot, but we worked on it and he was showing improvement towards the end. He even gave me a little bit of canter on both reins as well, which is promising.

We seem to be getting further on just one line now, rather than both lines long lining, but as I keep reminding myself, this stuff is all new for us, and if one line is what works, then we shall perfect there, and then move it up a notch when Max seems ready. I do like to mix things up a bit so he isn't doing the same thing every day. I just need to keep an eye on him and make sure he isn't overwhelmed or frustrated. Lots of praise for doing it right, quiet correction and no reprimand if he doesn't, and a keen eye on when he's had enough, so we can stop there and just have a little play together before leaving the school.

Lately it has felt like we've taken a few steps back in his schooling, but now I can see the potential for coming on again it is very rewarding and hopeful. I've made the mistake before of trying to move on too quickly because clever clogs seems to have picked things up so quickly, and I won't make that mistake again. Lots of repetitions of the same stuff until we can both do it smoothly.

It's me learning as much as Max, when it comes down to it.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?