Thursday 3 July 2008

I learned something new about Max today

And a very heartwarming thing it is, too.

I arrived at the yard and the newest horse and his owner (hate the word "owner" - how do we "own" a living critter, but it's just semantics) were on the yard doing a grooming session, having just had the vet out for a general check up.

I headed over to Max with his marmite on toast, to find him at the back of his box looking eager. Had a bit of a munch and a fuss, and then new owner was at the door with a big beaming smile.

"Did you know that Max starts calling as soon as your car turns into the drive?"

No, I did not know that. I have remarked before that his head is often over the box as soon as I park up, and I have wondered before if he recognises the sound of my car, but I've only ever heard him call to me occasionally when I appear in front of him.

This is the second time she's noticed it. The first time she thought it was a one off, but now she thinks that Max, very sweetly, is very aware when I turn into the drive, and he starts nickering gently, then whuffling as I park up.

Aw! How lovely is that?

We didn't get up to too much today. Max was a little stiff on his right hind, and I'm a little stiff down my right side, so after a slow grooming session (bliss to be under no time pressure) I first took him out for a walk in hand, then brought him back and saddled up for a little work in the school. It was OK, a bit aimless really. I tied the reins up and was trying hard to just direct with my seat and weight, which had minimal success. I wasn't looking for great things though, so wasn't bummed about it.

Then we rode out for a little under a threatening sky full of black clouds. The day is warm, but heavy rain was threatening (seems to have blown over, temporarily) so we cut it short.

My Dually halter has arrived in the post today, and I'm going to watch the video with the Ent, hopefully tonight. It's a training halter, all about pressure and release. It should help us fine tune a few things, give the Ent a good idea on ways to handle Max and not end up being pushed into a ditch or a convenient bramble bush. It's an all purpose bit of kit. Not only can I take him out in hand in it, I'll be able to long-line him in it, and also, eventually, I should be able to ride in it too, without a bit. I have high hopes that it works for us that way, because I love the idea of being able to eliminate the bit , at least some of the time. Gentle hands still needed; pressure on the nose can be just as nasty has hard pressure on the mouth.

The Dually was devised by Monty Roberts as a kind, non-violent training aid, and has been used successfully in training by quite a few of my horsey mates, so I am hopeful it will help Max and me, too.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?