Friday 4 July 2008

I challenge you to a Dually!

Max and I tried out his new bit of kit today, after I'd spent some time watching the instructional DVD. It's all about pressure and release, and the timing has got to be good, the hand that holds the line steady and kind.

He was a bit lethargic when I arrived, and I thought first to take him into the school so we'd have a contained space. I did not intend to be at it long. I find when introducing something new to Max, little and often is the best start.

We did a little work on walking, standing and backing up, and Max, after an initial look of surprise "What the heck? How that happen?" caught on fairly quickly. I gave him a bit of time off to have a wander and a roll as he mulled over new events, and then we tried just a little bit more walking and turning in hand.

It probably would have been contrary to advice on a first outing, but after that, I decided to take Max for a little walk in the great outdoors to see how we got on. I know Max and what he is up for in the moment, so it didn't feel risky. I figured we'd be fine, and if we weren't we turn for home quick smart.

No need. What a successful walk it was! No dawdling, no deciding to stop and stare, no trying to snatch at passing greenery. He stayed, nose just at my shoulder, keeping pace with me. A bit of commotion with cows being moved to our right, and piglets on parade further on, and although Max had his alert face on, he didn't hesitate. I didn't have him under pressure, either, loose hand, give in the lead rope and just the occasional squeeze of pressure with my hand to urge him on.

I'm not expecting miracles, and I know we must proceed slowly and steadily with this new training aid, but so far, I'm impressed by Max's response after such a short introduction.

It will be interesting to see if the Ent notices the difference on our Sunday walk (after he's watched the DVD).

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?