Friday 25 July 2008

Show jumper? No jumper.

The end of a long and tiring week, feeling like Max and I hadn't spent much quality time together. So today, along with a little schooling, we had a play day, and play involved teeny tiny little jumps.

They were already set up, they were already low, so I took Max over to have a look see. He knocked the first one down with his nose, and then proceeded to the second and cuffed that one down, too.

OK, so trot poles then. I thought that would be a good way to build him up to it.

Off we went, gamely going over the trot poles, then Max waited patiently in the centre of the school, and I re-arranged the jumps, set them up very low, added a walkway of poles leading towards the jump to discourage Max ducking out, and we gave it a go.

Well, I jumped and Max just barrelled through, with a look of confusion.

"Eh? Jump? Why?"

The poles are very light, so they knock down easily and there is no danger of hard knocks to pony legs.

I have seen Max jump before. Loose schooled him over jumps many moons ago, and he jumped really high, leaving lots of room for clearance, so I know he can do it. He just didn't choose to, this time.

Not sure how much I'll press it. I will try again from time to time, and if Max seems to enjoy it, then we'll add it into our mix of things to do. I'm not bothered if we do or don't, although it's taken me ages to admit it.

Jumping has never been my thing, but for some reason, back in the old riding school days, all lessons lead to jumping. I never really enjoyed it. I did a mini-cross country course once (just for fun) on a pony I loved and that was exhilarating (especially the drop jump!) but for all the years of jumping from cavaletti to 5'0 poles and 3.0' spreads, it was generally something I did because I didn't feel I could say no to my instructor.

I can say no now though. If a ditch or a fallen log happens to be across our path and I think that Max can handle it, then sure, we'll pop over it, but we won't be seeking such obstacles out. I'm not afraid of jumping, I just don't like it.

Is it fair on Max? Is he hankering to leap over hedges and fences? Apparently not.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?