Tuesday 15 July 2008

Flies to see you, to see you, flies!

The flying blighters are out in full force today, and Max and I had a grooming mishap because of them.

He was being worried on his belly by a big ol' horsefly (the size of a Datsun) and I was in the midst of applying spray to offer him some relief. Went in with my hand to brush the wee bugger away from his sheath, and as I did, Max raised his hind to give it a smack - smacked my wrist instead. Ouch!

Wasn't too bad - he wasn't giving it any wellie and just gave me a glancing blow. Enough to hurt, but not enough to break any bones. My own silly fault, really, but I also think he was aware that my hand was in the region, and of course he didn't want to give himself a hard smack in the belly.

Sweltering afternoon here (perspective check, sweltering for England; not sweltering for my Canadian friends).

I had thought about trying to ride Max in his Dually a little, to see how he went, but it was just too hot to contemplate the indoor school, and I will only try ridden Dually in the indoor school, initially, so at least we're contained.

So instead, I took him out for a country walk, once we'd protected him from the rampant flying biters.

It went pretty well. I took my schooling whip this time, which was just dandy for keeping his head out of the foliage, most of the time. He is such a skilled opportunist, I find it frustrating and admirable in equal parts. It's frustrating because he knows full well he's not to try grazing when we're working (I can see it in his crafty eyes), but he fakes me out on a regular basis.

"Ooh, just have an itch here on my foreleg. Just stop for a sec and let me have a scratch with my teeth... That's it, just having a wee scratch with my head down, and I'll just move a little further down now, a little further..." Nom, nom, nom on the grass.

"Head up, Max!"

"Nom, nom, nom..."

"Sir! Your head, UP!"

"Nom, nom... Is someone talking? What's that you say? Can't hear you above the chewing. You'll have to SPEAK UP, dear!"

We worked round it, and he really was pretty well behaved and bouncy. We had one stop where I directed him to look at the breathtaking scenery, and Max obliged, looking where I was pointing, and then gazing out, ears pricked, followed by a sigh and a sniff, as if to say, "Yes, you're right. That is a spectacular view."

We had a "scared of the pigs" poop on our road back home, and a couple of attempts to drag me into "the trot of anxiety", but the Dually took care of that. He really is getting the hang of it, and I don't have to use much pressure at all. Truth be told, now it's more about concentrating on being aware of when to release. When he trots forward without being asked, he causes his own corrective pressure on his nose, and it's my job to make sure that pressure doesn't become painful or give him a reason to have a panic with the tightening.

It seems to me now, working with the Dually over this past week, that it's as much, or even more about "give" than "take".

We still have a way to go, of course, but I'm very impressed with how much he has improved on staying with me, turning with me, stopping when I stop since we've started working with the Dually. His ground manners are improving daily. Now that he is beginning to understand how to work with pressure and release, I am hopeful we can move on to fine tuning with longlining and ridden work.

From the day I got him, I was hopeful that one day I could ride him without a bit, and I think we may just get there. Not that I believe bits are wrong, they definitely have their place in schooling, especially in encouraging an outline to help build up muscles in the right areas. I wouldn't give up my Pee Wee bit for anything, but it will be nice to mix things up a bit and have the option to go with or without as we fancy.

And speaking of stunning scenery, as Max and I were walking back, and he was strutting his fine self down the lane, I watched him and thought, "Look at my beautiful boy!"

My haphazard, cheeky, comedy pony sometimes displays such grace and dignity I can hardly believe it's me lightly holding the end of the lead line while this magnificent creature, full of strength and power, willingly walks next to me; like he's proud to be there, like that's where he belongs and feels comfortable. That he even allows me into his world, let alone guide him, is humbling.

There is just something about horses. Some intangible thing that makes one remember that the world is full of beauty, grace, nobility and magic.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?