Monday 14 July 2008

Unanticipated day off


I don't know if my back is getting better (still feels ouchy) or if it was the porridge with blueberries and banana that I had for lunch, but I was back to my ol' zippy self at the yard today. Eight boxes done in less than an hour and a half. Yes, day beds, so no big deal, but after two weeks of dragging my bum through it and managing seven in two hours, it was heartening to feel back on track.

I worked a bit of overtime at the day job this morning, so knew I couldn't work Max before I started on the yard work, but hoped to spend some time with him afterwards.
No good though. Got home to find one of our kittens not in the best of spirits. Last day of a three day course of worming meds, and I think they took their toll on poor Fagan. He didn't want to eat, his nose was warm, and he was just a bit listless. Nothing alarming, but it did mean I had to come home quickly after the yard work to check on him. Can't be too careful with the little ones.

So poor ol' Max, released to his field without much time for pony loving from me. I was there early enough to give him a groom, check his feet, and cover him with fly spray, but that's it.

At the end of my shift, I went back out to check on him, as I'd promised him I would, and found his face covered in flies. Decided to give his fly mask another go, as he looked so miserable, and went back to the yard to fetch it.

Endearingly, as I walked back with mask and a couple of rubber bands to contain his forelock, I found Max at the gate waiting for me. Sorted his forelock out to make it comfy under the mask, brushed the flies away from his eyes, and put the mask on. He looked almost grateful! He also looked like he would have liked me to hang out with him a bit longer. As the other ponies came to investigate, to see if Max was getting anything good that they weren't, he saw them all off:

"My person. Shoo! Be off with you! Mine, mine and mine again!"

I hope tomorrow, kitty being well, I can spend the afternoon with Max, making up for our short time together today.


And no, I don't expect the fly mask to be on his head tomorrow morning when I see him.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?