Wednesday 20 August 2008

Horse mirrors

I don't mean the kind of mirror you put in the stable as company for your ned, I mean horse holding up a metaphorical mirror and reflecting you back at yourself.

After a frustrating weekend with Max - frustrated with me, not him - I've been considering that no other relationship I've had has given me such pause to stop and take stock of myself the way Max does.

There I am, with my attempts to "school" him... but it turns out he's schooling me.

He highlights my flaws, where I lack patience, where my doubts are, where I don't think things through or communicate clearly enough. He shows me with clarity where my body language betrays my intentions, where my selfish thoughts trip me up, where my attention to detail strays and needs tightening.

No person has made me try so hard to be kinder and gentler than he has. No one has made me want to strive to correct these things as much as Max has. Nothing I've encountered prior to this has caused me to reassess how I want to be as much as this relationship with this singular horse..

I also don't think I truly respected forgiveness quite as much until I met him, either.

What is it about horses, eh? Why do they get to the heart of it when nothing else does? Maybe it's not for analysing, maybe it's just for honouring.

Am feeling humbled, and I quite like that. And the laughing. The laughing is very good, too. Comedy pony teaches with humour as well.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?