Thursday 21 August 2008

Max copping attitude

If he could have stood up on his hinds, put one hand on his hip, the other raised, hoof pointing and waggling in defiance, I would not have been surprised.

Yesterday my YO gave me some very useful pointers for keeping Max moving in the school. Today, we flew solo.

It all went well in the beginning. He fell into step, he trotted around me beautifully and steadily and I whisked him along with noises of encouragement, whooshes, foot stomps and clicks to keep him focused, and trailed the driving whip on the ground behind him to keep him running ahead of it.

To combat dizziness, I kept my eye steadily at a point on his shoulder, and changed direction often so I could "unwind".

Unwinding is a funny thing. I remember as a child, spinning in circles because that's just what you did on a bright summer day, I would always count the circles in one direction, and make sure I did the same amount in the other direction so that I'd be all unwound and back where I started (before I fell down from the dizziness).

The beginning of OCD?

I was delighted with the energy from Max today, and also that with a few new tricks up my sleeve, I could keep him going without much folderol. Until he started to get a bit puffed and figured he'd done just about enough, thank you very much.

Then wayward pony went off the circle and tried to evade by going behind a jump so he could stop and have a breather.

"No, Max. That's not on, sir."

I collected him, led him back to where he went astray and set him off again.

Now getting a bit tired, I agree, is a very good reason for Max to want to stop. The thing is, while it's important to see when he is getting tired and bring the session to a close, it really should close on an "up" note rather than a face off.

With this in mind, I knew I had to get one more circle each way out of Max without him trying to cut out, and that's when we ran into a bit of drama.

"Won't. Done now, OK? Finished, yes?" and he practically yanked my shoulder out of its socket and headed at high speed for the door.

He was on his Dually, so rather than increase the pressure on him too much, I let go of the line and let him run. He stood by the door and tried to nudge it open with his nose.

"Come on Max, one more circle on each side. It won't be difficult. Then we'll stop."

"Nuh uh."

Led him back to where he went astray and tried again. For a tired pony, he let out a couple of quite energetic bucks as he went away from me, then set himself into a canter so that I had to let go of the line again.

"I don't like it! I don't like it! Let go, I say. Cease and desist!"

So again I collected him, loosened the pressure on the noseband, rubbed his forehead, explained again that it was OK, we weren't fighting, he just needed to do one more turn on each side.

He had the big confused eyes, "Why are you doing this to me? I thought we were friends!"

Max is not above emotional blackmail.

Right. How to get round it? I could understand Max's shock and confusion. I am not usually so steadfastly firm with him. I have never been relentless and inescapable. That's not our relationship.

So it may not have been a "by the book" response, but I took him in hand and asked him politely to "Walk on, Max." He obliged. Then, "Trot on, Max" and he did, trotting comfortably by my sde. We trotted the circle together, then I coaxed him back out on his own, and we did one circle with no fuss, no trying to break away. Gathered him, changed the rein, and did the same in the other direction.

"Hurrah, Max! You're done!"

He stood still as I approached, looking slightly baffled. I tapped my hand to my chin in the "kiss" command, and he offered his nose, so got a click and treat.

We left the school behind us then, and went for a short walk in hand to cool down and have a chat.

If we can keep this up, build his stamina, then he'll be fit again in no time, despite my bad back.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?