Sunday 10 August 2008

Precious cargo

Max's holiday ended when mine did, and his first day back in light work was full of surprises.

First, he was surprised (pleasantly) to see me. I spoke his name quietly as I approached his stable door, his head shot up and he nickered at me and moved forward eagerly to greet me, velvet nose outstretched for a kiss (and hopefully a pony nut).

We had a long grooming session, and then I took him into the school for long lining. We were working nicely when suddenly four pairs of feet appeared under the door to the school. Max stopped and looked on with big, curious eyes.

Slowly the door opened, and four dark figures were framed against the light, then moved forward into the school, closing the door behind them. Max looked on in stunned silence. A slight nod as he clocked that one of the figures was his friend, the Ent. But who were the others?

"It's all right, Max," I said, as the Ent and a particularly eager young girl came towards him.

"This is my niece, Max. I told you she wanted to meet you, remember?"

"Nuh uh."

I asked my niece if she'd like to sit on Max's back and have a little ride. Oh yes, she would! Did she mind that there was no saddle? Not a bit! So roller off, eleven year old girl, on. We clipped on a shorter lead rope and did away with the long lines and with the Ent leading, and me by Max's side to steady any moments of unbalance, off we went.

I had come prepared, of course, and had a hard hat for Max's special guest rider. My brother and sister-in-law watched as Max carefully carried his delighted bareback buddy around the school, turning this way and that, and occasionally stopping dead to stare at his audience.

After the ride, we went through a few of Max's smooth moves, and at the end, it was declared that Max is "a pretty cool horse".

Indeed.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?