Sunday 25 November 2007

Follow my leader

I rode Max out with the Ent leading on foot. The idea was that the Ent was going for a run (sounds positively hasty, doesn't it?), so we'd follow on the lane as far as the
Wood, then the Ent would carry on with his run, and Max and I would turn for home all by ourselves.

Mainly Max was good, though we had a bit of spinning for home. Got in to a real tangle a couple of times on the way back, but I managed to get him forward both times (at trot, after lots of turning and taking runs at it).

Lots of praise when he did it, and click/treats, but man, we had words before that. He's not scared, this I know. He's happy to stick his head down and have a munch. So it was just a matter of firmness and intention on my part, and absolutely no finesse whatsoever! Argh!

I'm happy with the result, but not how I got it. I need to be able to rely a lot more on my seat, and at this point, I just can't. He needs that from me, too, because that's what will give him confidence.

So tomorrow... not sure. Maybe ground work again so we can regain our composure. Don't mean to give the idea that it was totally hellacious, because it wasn't, but we are much more dignified when we are both on the ground at this point!

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?