Monday 19 November 2007

Split shift

The weather was meant to be bad again, I figured there would be a queue for the indoor school when I finished work, so I mucked out two boxes, then took Max in for some schooling at about quarter to nine.

He was a complete prat! He's done so well schooling recently, but he had the wind up his tail and his own ideas. Going in to trot (either rein) he was head tossing and bucking like back in the old days at Cedars. "No I won't! No, you can't make me!"

I jumped off at one point just to check everything was sitting right with him and he wasn't pinched or uncomfy, but no, everything was fine.

Mounted up again and wahey! My rodeo pony was back, prancing, bucking, farting, then going perfectly for a bit, then not.

I think he's actually trying to go in to canter, but isn't quite sure how. Anyway, it used to make me feel really unsure and a bit scared when he did this stuff, but today I was just laughing at him as he snorted around, deciding to be scared of a cone. Took him up to it, asked him to touch, which he did, click/treat, and we were off again on two perfect circles of the school, and then "No! I protest! Want to go this way! Want to run!"

It may just have been high energy and high jinx from lots of wind and two rest days in a row. He hasn't had that for a while!

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?