Thursday 1 November 2007

Physio Day

Max had a visit from his friendly physio-therapist today. We were in the box with the door open, and Max was fine for ages, and then he just decided he'd had enough and walked out, pushing me along with him with his nose. I just laughed - he was so determined.

"OK, done now. Thanks very much, lady. Buh-bye!"

Physio-therapist didn't find anything too bad with him. His shoulders and hindquarters are coming on really well, and feels we may yet see him grow out of his stifle lock (she could make a lock happen with the right manipulation).

She asked me how worried I was about it and I said in the great scheme of things, it could be a lot worse. He's not lame with it, it doesn't bother him overmuch, so I'm aware & concerned, of course, but not worried. She asked about the vet and I said I'd have it checked again when vet was in for jabs, but I don't expect to be told anything I don't already know. She told me to be wary of suggestions to operate on them. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but an operation for Max is not something I want to contemplate at this stage.

Told me lots of downhill work which is the most likely place I'll see evidence of it happening out and about (which I can vouch for - if he locks anywhere, it's going downhill).

Gave me a bunch of massage exercises to loosen him up a bit before we go out, and help when we get back, too. She doesn't think he's fat or cresty, but she does think I don't want him to get bigger, because any more weight will inhibit the hinds and keep him struggling. She still thinks we might see withers, too. Don't know about that!

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?