Friday 11 January 2008

Bareback buddies

Another miserable day here in Hampshire. Relentless rain, although at least not windy.

Why does everything seem more difficult when it’s soggy? The straw is more likely to fall apart and stick to your waterproofs, the water buckets won’t get clean and feel heavy, the wheelbarrows weigh a ton and don’t steer properly, and the lovelies peer eagerly through straggly, wet forelocks.

"Hello my friend! What you have for me today? Any treats? Sure? If I look in your pockets will I find something? OK, yes, I know you're trying to put my rug on, but honestly, come here! My face! Look at my face! Now tell me, have you any treats? Oooh, there's one! Lovely. Now, can I rub my forehead on your back? Come on, turn around! You're in a hurry? Oh... I see. Well, that’s OK, you just get on with it and I'll just stand still for you. Never mind. Oh! Is that your back you're offering? Thank you very much, cuz I'm quite itchy and it's a sign of affection, you know. Not in that much of a hurry after all, eh? Good. A bit of quality time is always nice, isn't it? We don’t need to rush, do we?"

Sigh. There's always time for loving the lovelies!

I got through things as quickly as I could, but it still took me half an hour longer than it should have (by my reckoning).

I decided to take Max into the school for a bareback ride, based on my lack of balance yesterday. Well, that, and I didn’t want to get his saddle soaked, or put a girth around his muddy and still wet belly.

Threw his fleece on to keep his back dry on the walk to the school, and then hopped on board for a light workout.

I enjoy bareback because I can feel everything moving so clearly, and Max reacts and responds so well to any movements or changes of pressure from me, so I can really work on the subtleties of balance and muscle control. Not that I’m that subtle with any of it yet!

We did some work with no reins, at walk, just trying to direct him with my body… limited success there, but we’ll keep trying.

I considered a while ago adding one bareback session a week to our schooling, and I think I will reinstate that, more for me than for Max.

The best news is that after we’d done a bit of trot work, I hopped off, took off his bridle and left him to it.

He has now taken me sitting down on the bench as a signal that he can have a roll if he wants. I watched with approval as he started to paw at the ground, and then those knees buckled and down he went.

Hurrah! Rolled right over, so his back must be feeling better.

Today’s new taste sensation was parsnips. I cut a few up this morning to see if they’d make a good substitute for carrots. Offered one up and yes, they’ll do nicely, thanks!

So today it was parsnip stretches, which were very successful and I’ve got my bendy boy back!

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?