Monday 28 January 2008

Kiss me, you fool!







Well, Max has got the kissing trick down pat, and no mistake. He’s also adapted the “gently!” warning, so I’m no longer in fear of having my teeth knocked out with his eager affections (not for me so much as the pony nut).

We’re now incorporating a slight elaboration on this trick, which is “Show me your teeth”. I’m not sure how it came about, or even if it’s useful (might be), but that’s where we are. He hasn’t twigged what I want yet, but he’s caught on to everything else quickly enough, so I’m sure he’ll be baring his gnashers to all and sundry in no time.

All this larking about was due to a split session in the school. I decided to work him loose today, but when two Other Horses joined us in the school after only ten minutes, we gave up and left it to lark about in his box for a bit.

At least we’d had 20 minutes of walking and a bit of trotting, so warm up was done.

I groomed him, and then used the time to try some clicker training, concentrating on the teeth, and trying to get him to raise alternate front feet. Well, “raise” is putting too fine a point on it. Right now, any movement at all is to be encouraged, really.

Back to the school when it was free, and we just had some fun with trotting and cantering on voice. Still not so good on direction, but I’m standing further away from him now, and we’re keeping the whole thing going a lot longer before Max just gets himself tangled into ever decreasing circles at speed.

It was a good day. Nothing intense, I’m sure some would wryly observe that it was a waste of time as we didn’t get up to much, but for Max and me, it was hanging out time with a little schooling. Nowt wrong with that, in our books.

Was going to try and get him to race me to the end of the school and back at the very end of it, but as he’d had his roll, he declared himself done, he bade me race my own self back and forth while he watched with bemusement.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?