Thursday 10 January 2008

Tra la la!

Found out yesterday that I’ve secured a part-time job starting in February. I’ll be able to keep up the yard work, do the other (about three to four hours a day) and then back to the yard to work with Max in the afternoons, rather than in the mornings.

I’m very fortunate, I know, to be able to have the luxury of time to do that at all. Lots of people can’t.

Works for me, though! As the days get longer, we’ll be able to continue or lone hacks, and we can concentrate a bit more on long-lining and ground work in the school without there being a queue or sharing issues. I don’t mind sharing, per se, but I do like using the WHOLE school with Max, especially lining, and his concentration is a bit better if there’s only me to concentrate on. And confession time, I do like him to have a loose wander and a roll, if he wants to, when we’re done.

Whistling a happy tune today, because my boy is feeling much better and is stretching his neck for those carrots again, no trouble.

We did ridden work in the school this morning, quite early. The weather is foul, really windy and quite heavy rain. Dreary and unpleasant. January, basically.

He went pretty well, and had recovered enough cheek to present little skirmishes about direction and speed. Well, that’s allowed, when he’s been feeling so listless for a couple of days – good to see some spirit!

We did get down to business though, and he did some lovely trotting, round and round, changing direction when asked, coming back to me when asked.

I was the problem today. My balance was not good, and I know I must have been a burden rather than a partner at times. Will work on that. Not sure what the problem was, but it may just be down to back ache – am probably holding myself a little differently and favouring my right side.

No stifle lock during our ride at all! I usually feel at least one stumble/give way in walk or trot from the hinds, but none today.

Getting very attached to his pears, now. Extra juicy one today, and he ended up frothing a bit. Slimed me, frisking me for more.

"What? You brought one only? How can this be? You playing funny joke on me?"

When I left the yard today, I felt a bit sad. I don’t want to leave him, I want him in his own field, on my own land, so he can stick his head through the kitchen window whenever he wants. Well, I’d say he’d be welcome to come right into the kitchen, but the Ent might have something to say about that.

One day, I hope…

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?