Monday 7 January 2008

"Pair of what?"

Ho, ho, ho…

That was Max today, with his new taste sensation.

I did take him toast and marmite this morning, and he was, again, quite delighted by it.

Worked the yard as usual, knowing the vet was coming to dole out the flu jabs. Max was due, so he was in the queue.

He was good as gold, as he pretty much always is. Not bothered by jabs, my boy, and always happy to meet new people (the vet). I love being there when people meet Max for the first time. There’s inevitably a little gasp and, “Isn’t he beautiful!”

Yes, he totally is.

K was on hand and quick with a polo for Max right after the jab, as a good boy treat. Not that he needed it. He hadn’t realised he’d been a good boy.

I’m not as good with jabs as Max, and can’t watch when either he or Arizona (my elderly cat) need their jabs. Always have to look away and hope vet doesn’t get me by mistake!

Left Max for a bit to hold Mini Me for S. His four week holiday over, he was going driving for the first time in ages, and S wanted a hand to hold his twitchy head while she harnessed him up. What a palaver all that is! Much easier to throw a saddle on. I’m baffled by the intricacy of it all, but fascinated, too.

Went and held the gate open for them when they were ready, and MM was off, a perfect star, with his high stepping walk.

At rest, he stands like a ballerina, little hooves splayed out to each side, like he’s about to attempt a plie! Love that little monkey man.

As Max had had his jab, and I had stupidly forgotten to bring his clean bridle & bit back to the yard, I decided to do the family grocery shopping, and stop back in at the yard on my way home.

Now we are leading to Max’s new taste sensation. I bought pears, partly because I fancied them, and partly because I know that some horses rate pears above apples, so I thought I’d give Max a try.

Back to the yard, and found my boy eating the straw from his bed, because he’d got through his morning hay. Stocked him up, renewed his water, and then YO showed up with the worming paste.

A bumper day for Max! Flu jab and worming all in one fell swoop!

He was not impressed, despite YO getting the wormer down his gob before he had a chance to realise what had happened.

“Blech!” tongue out. “Yuck! Ergh! Blech!”

If he could have spit, he would have.

Opportune moment to offer the pear! Held it out to him. Sniff…

“Don’t know what it is, mum. Take it away. No more surprises today, thanks.”

So I bit a chunk out, spit it into my palm and offered again.

“Hmm… Since you seem to like it, OK, I'll try...” and tentative lips wrapped around the offering, took pear chunk in, and had a thoughtful chew.

“Yum! You got more?”

“Yes, lots more. You likey?”

“I LIKEY! What is this thing?”

“It’s called a pear.”

Hence the subject line.

Made short work of it, he did, and I’m sure it took the nasty wormer taste out of his mouth.

Left him to it, snug, hayed up, watered up, and peared up.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?